Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Asthma

Rate this question

Pattycake

Question

I have been diagnosed with asthma.  I’ve been out of the military for 30 years.  While serving on active duty I had persistent colds all the time and was told by my medical officer to just take over the counter meds because there was not much they could do.  I was even told to use an otc inhaler when I complained of shortness of breath.   So I don’t think anything was ever documented in my health records so now I’m having trouble proving service connection because I did what they told me.  So my question is how do I prove something that I treated over the counter for years while on active duty?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to hadit.  There is a 3 step method that works for proving service connection:

1.  You need a documented "event(s)" in service.  Sometimes, "in service events" can come from buddy letters, medical documentation, etc.  While Im no medical  expert, Im unaware of frequent colds causing asthma.  I am, however, aware of toxic chemicals, such as first or second hand exposure to cigarettes, and or, other toxic chemicals that can cause asthma.  And, some of those toxic exposure could have symptoms similar to colds or allergies.  I have no idea where you served, or whether or not if you were exposed to jet fuel, or other toxic substances.  

2.  You need a current diagnosis by a doctor.  

3.  Finally, you need a nexus or medical opinion that your asthma is "at least as likely as not" due to one or more events in service, such as a toxic exposure.  Even if you were stationed in Conus, James Cripps proved that US military bases have used toxic chemicals.  (Im sure you have heard of Camp Le June, and it is not the only one)>. 

Hello.  Thanks for your reply.  I was stationed at NAS Oceania from 1980 to 1984 and lived in the barracks with a roommate that smoked for the first two years I was there.  I also worked at PSD and at that time it was still acceptable to smoke in doors.  Because I worked customer service I was constantly being exposed to lots of viruses.  I also had to walk to work in the cold due to not being able to drive at the time and the barracks had inadequate heating so it was always cold which mean I was always sick with a cold or allergies. 

• Community Owner

This is how you approach no medical records.

1. You will need to get copies of your Military Medical Records. Identify any that states you have had a cold or any upper raspatory. 

2. Got to the https://www.mayoclinic.org/ site and look up  asthma. Compare the Colds with the symptoms of those with asthma. I am willing to bet there are a lot of similarities. Write them down.

3. Make an appointment at you local VA to see the doc.  When you go to your doc appointment start by telling thin/her this.

3. "Doc when I served NAS Oceania from 1980 to 1984 and lived in the barracks with a roommate that smoked for the first two years I was there. I started have problems with shortness of breath. I went on sick call they keep diagnosis me with a could. When I brought up the shortness of breath I was told by doc to just take over the counter meds because there was not much they could do.  I also worked at PSD and at that time it was still acceptable to smoke in doors. I continued to have shortness of breath. I was recently diagnosed with asthma that I believe is connected to the second hand cinerite smoke that I was exposure to on the job and in the barracks when I was in the service."

4.If the doc is doing he should be doing is taping what you are telling him into the computer creating a record of your asthma in service. Please do not ramble on about the colds or supply any more information on the other than the script un less the/she asks. You will still have to get your doc to write a letter stating "it is more likely than not that your asthma is related to your second had smoke in service." DO NOT DO THERE JOB FOR THEM BY VONTIERING TO MUCH INFO.