Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary conditions

Rate this question

Army-Navy Guy

Question

Greetings all! I am rated at 100% P&T. I totally understand I will not increase my percentage nor va comp pay. I will focus on one issue…Chronic Pain, and Depression, secondary to residual pain from 4 knee replacements , and lower back issues. Both are service related and part of my current 100%. The related pain, limited function of my body ad a whole, has effected me so much, I am almost a total recluse. Limited driving, setting, standing…you know the drill. As a result, I have been treated for severe depression. I am maxed out on depression medications. Has anyone had positive VA secondary connection to an existing rated condition, and did you get rated. Thanks….and GO ARMY! Go Navy too, as i was a prior squid. I win every year.

I lost also my right kidney to service connected cancer. The meds i take (PPI’s aka Proton-pump inhibitors), as well as over the counter meds, are directly connected to kidney issues. I also now have “chronic kidney disease” of my solitary left kidney. Having one kidney isn’t good for this. I have been collecting all my medical data from 2002, and will present it to my urologist for a Nexus and submit to the VA, secondary as “solitary” kidney, chronic kidney disease, as a result of losing the right one. Currently, the L kidney it is 75% efficient. That’s actually pretty good for a “one pumper”.

• Community Owner

Welcome to Hadit.com

Can you list what you are ratted for and the percentages. It will help us point you in the right direction. You are not correct in that adding to your 100% P & T will not get you any more $$$. You may qualify for SMC and other benefits depending on how the percentages are. 

"Pain" may be included already in your original rating.  So, you cant be rated for the same syptoms twice.  Yes I am rated for secondary conditions.  

You need a nexus where the doc states your (new condition that you seek) is at least as likely as not related to (your currently service connected condition).  Of course, you need a diagnosis, for both by a doctor.  You already have a diagnosis for your sc condition, or you would not be sc for it. 

Thank you for responding. The primary ones Im focusing on are; L knee w/revision rated 30%; Right Knee w/revision and instability, rated 60%; degenerative lumbar arthropathy rated 20% (am also going to submit for increase due to current i stability. Anyone experiencing these conditions know how it impacts ones daily life and pleasures. It wears on the ole brain every day. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Broncovet….thank you for your response. I gathered all the data concerning the Nexus, all my records, and asked for a appointment to see my PC. Will keep you posted. Hes been around for a while and hopefully he is knowledgeable in developing the Nexus letter. I will ask if he is and if not, i will provide the template(s) and other materials to him. Hes a great Dr and very approachable.

• Community Owner

Humm. I think I got screwed on my right knee replacement %. (30% right after replacement, 10% left that is as bad as the right pre replacement.) So the question is what are you ratted at for your PTSD? Are you a 100% scheduler P & T or 100% P & T UI. Depending on what your PTSD is you should be close  to getting a 100% scheduler rating that doesn't have the restriction of a UI. The new ratting you are seeking should put you over to a 100% scheduler.