Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary conditions

Rate this question

Army-Navy Guy

Question

Greetings all! I am rated at 100% P&T. I totally understand I will not increase my percentage nor va comp pay. I will focus on one issue…Chronic Pain, and Depression, secondary to residual pain from 4 knee replacements , and lower back issues. Both are service related and part of my current 100%. The related pain, limited function of my body ad a whole, has effected me so much, I am almost a total recluse. Limited driving, setting, standing…you know the drill. As a result, I have been treated for severe depression. I am maxed out on depression medications. Has anyone had positive VA secondary connection to an existing rated condition, and did you get rated. Thanks….and GO ARMY! Go Navy too, as i was a prior squid. I win every year.

A Nexus has to have certain things to be useful (for VA rating purposes).  First, the "doctor" needs to demonstrate he is a competent medical expert.  This means he can demonstrate significant professional training and experience in diagnosing and treating disorders of your type. This is generally done with a doctors CV.   Then, he needs to state "he reviewed your records".  

He further has to state his opinion unambigiously..such as "at least as likely as not".   NOT could be, might be, may be, etc, which are considered speculative.  

And, he needs to give a medical rationale as to why he rendered such an opinion.  

Some good news. I submitted my claim on Monday, the 18th, at 1600. It was 157 pages of my related conditions, consisting of operations and ongoing medication issues. Plus a 4 page lay-NEXUS letter. On Wed, i got a call from the VA. They are going to schedule an C&P within 60 days. That was fast. The claim was for Depression and Anxiety from Residual Pain, secondary to 4 knee replacements and an ongoing back condition, all service connected. It was odd as the VA doesn’t recognize “chronic pain” from these injuries, but use the term “residual pain”, and i had to connect the dots separately for each s/c injury. I also used “functional impairment” in my summary. Some may balk at what I’m about to say, but…I have always done my own packets and it resulted in 100% P&T, without an opinion of my PC. On this submission, I didn’t provide a NEXUS from a Dr, as they would write the exact findings and conclusions I did. The 4 page summary I provided, as a lay-NEXUS, will either work or not. I never used a Dr for any VA issues. Nor did I in this one. The rate/examiner will either concur or not, even with a letter from a Dr. My success was using the available data from the VA and docket decisions. Like this site says, “knowledge is power”. I will keep yall posted.

Crazy…I just received an e-mail from the VA. I have a C&P next Friday, the 29th. Could be the fast response is because they put emphasis on mental health issues. I have no idea. Has anyone experienced such a fast response and action timeline? If so, was it similar to my issues of Depression and Anxiety?

Rattler, I am already rated at 100% P&T. Knees 60 and 30%, back i think is 20 or 30%, bilateral hearing loss 40%, tinnitus 10%, Gerd/barretts 30%, and a few 10% ones that i can’t remember. I was looking at it the other day. Im either getting old or forgetful….or both. But no, I don't think i have PTSD. I never thought about that. Who knows.

BroncoVet i was going to use a Dr for this packet. But after researching, i decided against it. There was so much supporting medical records showing the visits were as a result of the injury, I decided not to use him. Plus, i have never used one in the past and all secondary rated conditions were approved by the VA after my C&P. Rolling the dice!

It takes medical evidence to win claims...whether it be c and p exams or from other competent medical evidence.  You could/should ask for a copy of the c and p exam, and you should read it and know if its favorable or not.  Absent a medical professional's opinion that your conditions are at least as likely as not due to an event in service, the chances of service connection are near zero. 

If this is a claim for increase, then you need medical documentation of your symptoms worsening.  

You posted:

…I have always done my own packets and it resulted in 100% P&T,

If you are 100 percent P and T, the only way to get increased compensation is through Special monthly compensation, and you should focus on that.  

"One way" to get SMC is to have a single 100 percent rating plus additional ratings seperate and distinct combining  to an additional 60 percent.  This would be good for SMC S, which is good for about another $450 per month.