Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Creeping Crud

Rate this question

Wordsmyth

Question

I have no idea what you call this, so please bear with me while I explain. 

Many receipt printers use paper that reacts to an electrified stylus, leaving the information behind.  Little did we know, this process produces an airborne by-product, albeit in miniscule amounts.  Now, imagine a printer 2-feet wide, running 24/7, constantly giving off this residue.  Then imagine an array with dozens of these printers.  Now the levels of this by-product starts to become significant.  Again, imagine a watchfloor containing dozens of these arrays, all running continuously, manned by a team of humans, all breathing in this residue.

We OTAs called it The Creeping Crud because it settled on everything; the equipment, our hands and faces, and more to the point, our respiratory systems.  We'd blow our noses and see blackened mucus.  We'd have a taste in our mouths that we couldn't irradicate.  I even vomited a tarry substance once that tasted like an old, wet ashtray.  

After a while, I started getting blood clots in my legs.  We were on our feet throughout our nine-hour shifts, so this phlebitis was not a result of inactivity.  Making an already long story short, I had DVTs 4 times in 2 1/2 years, leaving me with severe post-phlebitic syndrome and a lifelong need for blood thinners.

I was retired at 30% Disabled by the navy, though the VA only rated me at 10% for the post-phlebitic syndrome, even though any walking or standing results in a great deal of pain, problems with night cramps in the legs, and a host of other problems.

Now for the question:  Is this story familiar to anyone else?  And if so, what did you call it?  How did you submit the claim?

Ok, that was 3 questions.  I look forward to your input.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Adminstrator

Veterans can get a DVT VA rating and benefits (woodslawyers.com)  Read the entire article.

Above is the first thing I would look at for a proper DVT rating.  Which catagory do you best fit into?  Are you work?  

Is this condition making other things you have worse?

Now if you feel your raiting should be higher and you are not working see the link below

VA Individual Unemployability If You Can’t Work | Veterans Affairs

If I am reading this correctly, you are not being rated correctly.  

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Hadit.com

I will say follow the symptoms and file for any symptoms that your doctors can link or connect to your military service like asthma, depression, sinus problems, or breathing problems, depression, acid reflux (GERD), IBS, headaches or any other symptoms that can be medically associated with your service. I know I typed depression twice, keep in mind that depression is not saying you are crazy, it simply means that you a dealing with mental health symptoms that can be linked to or connected to your service or the symptoms of your service-connected disability.

To make a long story short, I filed for Gulf War Syndrome (GWS), but my claim was denied but I began to file for the symptoms I was diagnosed and treated for while in service and post service and now I am rated 100% schedular P & T.

You will need 1. An in-service event, accident or incident. 2. A current diagnosis and 3. A nexus letter or statement connecting 1. And 2. The letter would only have to say something like it is as least likely as not that your (name symptom) is/was caused by or related to your military service.

Edited by pacmanx1

• HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, relatively happy camper said:

I want to add to Shrek's post that you can also receive an extra-schedular TDIU rating if in fact you cannot work and don't meet the percentage requirements.  The VA doesn't inform the claimant of this fact.  

I received the "extra-schedular TDIU" 33 years after applying for it in a remand by the BVA because it the claim never got to the Director, Compensation Services.  She granted me a 2 year EED to my last full time position.  35 years back pay.  At the time my combined rating was 40%, 30% traumatic brain disease (Now TBI personality disorder) and 20% decibel hearing loss.

CCK has taken my case before the BVA on several issues.  Beaudette & Beaudette v McDonough I believe will open my claim for an EED of my partial and complex partial seizures that have a nexus in the IPTR (inpatient treatment records) in 1969.  Not sure how much CCK will pursue.  But in my previous claims, letters, civil court filings and anything else that I could think of trying plus the CAVC remanded case that is before the BVA now, I brought up medical evidence issues that were clearly erroneous or examinations not done per regulations.  (similar to the issue in the Beaudette PCAFC CAVC order that is affirmed by the CAFC.

We have a lot to follow in the Appeals Courts.  The CAVC case, Laska v McDonough, on SMC-T which has been heard by a panel but no decision posted yet.  (sure to be appealed to the CAFC).

I will post an article and a question on these as the results become apparent.