VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lay Statement for Chronic Sinusitis

Rate this question

Donald1985

Question

1 answer to this question

I think you mean a "lay statement" to establish Service connection, that is, to establish you experienced an "event in service" or symptoms which led to chronic sinitus.  

"IF" you were exposed to toxic substances and "they made your nose run", one or more of your buddies can write a letter that they observed you with a runny nose whenever you got close to the area where these toxins were stored.  

OR, 

Your buddy could report he observed you with a runny nose, perhaps, during meals, where you had to wipe your nose on your sleeve.  

Finally, your buddy can testify he saw you hit in the face with a (object or fist) causing a nose bleed).  

These are some examples, dont use mine.  

Your doctor needs to document symptoms.  But lay statments (buddy statements or personal statements) can be useful in establishing an SC in service event.  

I read somewhere where the VA can not "disregard" your lay statements "based solely on the fact you are an interestd party".  In other words "just because" you do have something to gain from making a statement, does not "in of itself" mean the statement is false.  Do be truthful, because they will use other things, such as other statements you make, to decide if they think you are being truthful.  If they catch you in one lie, then they tend to disregard your entire testimony.  So, be truthful and dont get caught in a lie, by telling the truth.  I was awarded benefits by the BVA because, the board "found my testimony consistent with known facts" and therefore, credible.