Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Low Back Pain

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I suffer low back pain from arthritus so the doctors say. What kinds of treatments have worked for others here with this problem. I end up taking pain pills from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. I had a nerve block which did not help. It seems to have gotten much worse in recent months.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jangrin

John999,

I don't want you to laugh when I tell you this. There are a couple things that may help in not only strenthening the low back but also decomprssing the nerve.

1. Inversion

2. Aqua Therapy

3. weight loss

Inversion is done simply by using the body's own weight and shifting it away from the lumbar spine. Recently I saw an inversion unit at costco for about $100 that is used for this purpose. They had two different units-one when you got on the tripod swung forward and it inverted you upside down from the knees. Sorta like hanging on the monkey bars when you were a kid. This uses the body's own weight as traction and stretching (by the knees). The other one I would not use it did the same thing but from the ankles. Too much stress on the ankles.

Aqua therapy is great for exercise. Less resistance but certainly muscle stretching and stregthening. Plus the bouyancy takes the pressure off the lumbar spine as well. Sort of like weightlessness but not quite. By exercising while in this state increase mobility, strengthen, burn calories. Multiple advantages. By strenghtening the stomach muscles you take some of the work away from the lumbar an then lumbar is reduced in the work load has less stress.

Weight loss. Weight is pulled by gravity. Gravity is constant pressure on the disc in the low back. Less weight less pressure on the disc less nerve pinching and less reaction to pressure less pain.

These really work. The inversion can be done over the eadge of the bed (dangle the upper body from the waist to the top of the head over the edge of the bed. Start with 3 to 4 minutes and work your way upward to 15 minute intervals throughout the day.

Also can be done over a very stable saw horse wrapped with a large towel or blanket secured with duct tape to aid in comfort.

Hope this helps.

Jangrin

PS there is a product called Pain Free you can get that aids in replenishing the joint fluid in the body. It is homeopathic and made by "Schiff" but it works for us for arthritis pain. It takes using it for about a month before it builds up in the body to have a effect. But then it seems to work, but gradually.Not an instant result.

Edited by jangrin