Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Give Me Some Insight?

Rate this question

john6012

Question

I just came home from seeing my psychologist. I gave him the PTSD info someone suggested along with copies of letters from people I knew in the militaryI took in on my first visit. He reviewed it and said, it will entail an 8 hour testing procedure and in his experience, only 5-10% of cases were approved at the VA for compensation. I am trying to be positive about this but he didn't sound positive although he said my depression was from moderate to severe. He said I might check out some VA groups such as DAV or go to some PTSD groups at the VA. I wonder if:

(1) I should go ahead with him and take the tests at his office or

(2) Find out from him what kind of tests I need and ask for them from the MHC at the VA or,

(3) Just go to the VA MHC Clinic and ask for counselling and appropriate testing?

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

PS- do I understand you get 70% already?

If so- are your working?

If not have you applied for TDIU?

Maybe I got the posts mixed up- but if you get 70% SC now- could the depression be secondary to anything you have now that is already service connected?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta and all, I don't like to admit it but I am a retired E-8 USAF and not working. I am 70& sc at present -arthritis and don't know what TDIU (but I will check on this site to find out) I'm sure if it's more money I wouldn't qualifiy anyway due to my retirement income. The reason I don't like to admit being retired AF is that many people are envious and I tell them they had the same opportunity so I just don't tell many people. That's it in a nutshell. I was never tgreated in the military for this condition although it existed and have three letters as I've previously mentioned (one from an MD) and two from NCO's all with contact information (phone and SSAN) I doubt that the depression is secondary to arthritis pain although it could remotely be possible. I was stationed at Phan Rand AB and Vung Tau in Vietnam "66-67and Korat and Non com (sp) Phanom in Thailand "65 AFSC 62250-sort of like services sqadron today. Thanks again, John

Edited by john6012

• HadIt.com Elder

john if your depression is stressor related to combat duty etc you can get all three SSD VA comp 70% TDIU pays about 2400 and if you are married it pays more and your currrent retirement check and you have earned all of them you just need to make the claims you owe no one any apologies and just tell nosy people that your uncle died and left you some money

Edited by Testvet

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

How does one go about applying for TDIU? I'm already on SS, I can't do a thing yet until the psy guy finishes with me. That may be in about a month, maybe more. But if you'll tell me, I'll do whatever I have to prepare. Thank you for your positive comment! John

• HadIt.com Elder

if you are already 70% and SC for PTSD/depression fo you have a POA or a service organization you are working with? Do you live near the VARO, you need to go in tomorrow or Monday and file a DF form/ a hand written request for for TDIU, get this month date stamped on your request or if you file next month you will lose the difference in pay if you are already drawing SSD for it, it should be a no brainer to get TDIU I would make the trip what the difference between 70% and 100% about 1000 a month? I live 10 minutes from the VARO so it's easy for me, and those people hate me rofl

hell you earned it, you did the time and you paid SSDI taxes and if you are totally disabled then it's just what you deserve you don't need fancy paperwork a hand written note and have the VARO give you back a date stamped copy secures the date, if you have a doctor writing something else up you can add it later the VA never does anything in 30 days

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Thanks Chief! I am not s/c for depression but in my heart I believe I will be within a year....? I will post progess or lack of for you folks to oversee.