Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Task Force

Rate this question

Berta

Question

The full report is at the VA web site-

Only 2400 comments were considered. It looks to me that the VA web site originally gave the suggestion that this report might not be completed until the end of May or even by July- yet it has been done already.

Some of the recommendations are very good as to returning veterans-

yet one part of the report reviews the claims process but it does not come close as to what a new veteran can really expect.

And so far I cannot see where it advises new vets of their socalled Duty to Assist rights-fundamental to all claims.

Many individuals commented to the Task Force about their own VA claims experiences and these went to another committee.

I think it is unfair that the report had a completion deadline yet the deadline for comments from veterans was not clearly defined-and they sure got this out fast.

In any event- lots to read there-

http://www1.va.gov/taskforce/page.cfm?pg=4

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta that is the problem right now there are about 8 commissions doing work on veterans issues, the big one with Dole and Shalala are due in June but can have a 45 day extension if needed they were mandated to look at Walter Reed and the VA, so there mandate is broaded in nature, this is the same thing Nicholson had supposed to be doing since he took over and shelved the seamless transition project from Principi so these "fixes" are things they already "knew" how to do, it was just a matter of forcing Rumsfeld to comply, now that he is gone the work can proceed.

Many of these 25 "ideas" have been floating for years, and still this does nothing to clear up the backlog of 600,000 claims on appeal or the 3-4 years of remands before getting the BVA to "grant" or deny the claims for certification to the COVA. So maybe the "new" vets may get appropriate disability ratings when they are "retired" medically from the military but do we really believe DOED is really going to start approving 70% and 100% SC for retirement purposes? I don't if they do it will be on an annual review basis and it will take 10 years before anyone is granted Permanent retirement, they will have to keep re-evaluating them to see if the improvements can let them reduce the % have to keep the taxpayers happy right?

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

Although they asked for comments I doubt that they really wanted to be confused with facts. Yes I do believe that the report was actually being written before Sen Dole and Donna Shalala even met. Most Commissions are rubber stamps meant to take intense political heat off the Government. Just my cynicism showing through but than I have seen it over and over again.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Pete you are not being cynical. What you speak is the truth. To prove this who in the world would look at a system such as the DoD and VA disability system then put the guy who is already in charge of one of them and has been unable to effect any forward progress, then task him to fix it but tell him he has to do so without any cost or developing new law? Who in the hell could honestly say they believe such crap? Well I guess the American tax payer has for as you can see these problems in both disability systems to include health care has moved from the front page to the last page in the media if they cover it at all. Yes you will see many articles in pro vet papers or papers from small towns but the big ones such as the Washington Post, NY Times etc.... have moved on to bigger and better things such as Rosie O'Donnel.

Yep you are right - just some smoke screen to take pressure off the politicians which has and continues to work. It baffels the crap out of me. The only way returning service members and veterans are going to get the treatment they deserve is for hundreds of thousands of us to go camp out in front of the white house and stay there until change happens. Would be a great show for the media, thousands of scooters, wheel chairs, hospital beds, crutches every where you look. We would not even have to say anything just sit there. I betcha change would be swift.

I am not smart enough to put together such an operation, however, the NSO's are and they have the funding to do so. Oh well I guess I am really dreaming now. The DAV or AL actuall supporting veterans on the national level - please wake me up before this turns into a nightmare.