Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vietnam Vets & High White Blood Cell Count

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

I just received a telephone call from my brother. He was a vietnam vet in I think around 1968 and 1969. We don't talk too often, but he hasn't been feeling well lately. He went to the doctor and he has a high white cell count.

The doctors don't know why.

I know many Vietnam vets have illnesses that have this as the main sign something is wrong.Does anyone have information on what illnesses they should be checking him for related to AO exposure. He did say he has been diagnosed with enlarged prostrate.

He is not SC'd as 5 or 6 years ago he was denied for 40% hearing loss (he was on tanks) and for PTSD. Can he reopen his claim or does he have to start over again?

Thanks for your help on this.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jangrin

He should be checked for any of the many cancers related to AO exposure. One of the best ways is to get the AO Registry exam. He probably ought not to wait but go to an oncologist and see why his white count is up.

jangrin,

I also was there 1969-70 and also was on a tank/APC (Central Highlands, II Corps...Pleiku, Kontum, Cambodia, An Khe).

Despite it being 37 years ago, I recently claimed that my hearing-loss (high-frequency) and tinnitus was due to my service in the RVN; I wrote a statement describing all the noise I was exposed to. This statement, my hearing test and my MOS was all the evidence that was submitted.

The VA SCed the tinnitus and rated it at 10% and SCed the hearing-loss, but rated it at 0% because it wasn't deemed severe enough. I accepted that decision as I already had TDIU and didn't see any reason to argue with them further. But at least they were SCed even after all this time on the very FIRST effort.

As a RVN vet, I was encouraged to file the claim for hearing because someone at the VA Clinic told me that even WWII vets were getting approved! Go figure.

Your brother may want to try again...as well look into the much more serious WBC issue ASAP!

-- John D.

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

I just received a telephone call from my brother. He was a vietnam vet in I think around 1968 and 1969. We don't talk too often, but he hasn't been feeling well lately. He went to the doctor and he has a high white cell count.

The doctors don't know why.

Jangrin:

Did you brother give you the details of his High White Cell Count ?

Jessie