• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    USMCFor8

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Can anybody tell me if this qualifies a Veteran to be able to use the VA's CHOICE program... The VA has refused Cervical Spine surgery on me THREE TIMES. So I decided to finally get away from the VA and go see an orthopedic surgeon in my area. I just recently had a new MRI and the results are now showing I have Cervical Myelopathy at TWO levels. I go this Wednesday (Tomorrow) for the follow up MRI to see what the treatment plan is. I hope its surgery because I am tired of all this pain and not having a life. Since the VA Neurosurgeon has refused me three times for surgery and with the NEW MRI evidence and maybe the Orthopedic Surgeon will say surgery is the only treatment, would this qualify for the VA to pay for this surgery through the VAs CHOICE program? This surgeon is already in the VA Choice Program provider list, I just looked. Remember the VA Neurosurgeon REFUSED to do the surgery not once but THREE separate times. Keep in mind the VA Bay Pines in St Pete NOR James A. Haley has a Neurosurgeon on staff and uses a consultant to make decision if surgery is necessary and if he says yes the VA sends you out to the cheapest doctor in town. After my uncle inlaw just went through this a little over a year ago the cheap surgeon cause paralysis in his left arm I said NOPE, not going there.
    • My IMO with a Psychologist Dr Bash recommended took 4 months to write an adequate IMO. When I called Dr Bash initially,  He called me back personally. I would give the benefit of the doubt, God forbid if he was in the hospital himself et al. I found him to be reputable. 
    • Thanks all- I already get the (Texas) tax break  on my home , car registration and I utilized Voc Rehab for my degree,I already had Tricare and commissary privileges  since I did 22 years in the Navy(1975-2997) ... et al.  I am single, so time to relax!  I will know about the P & T  when I get the packet - I did put i a request and asked for it. I am 59 so and I have a 70% rate just the PTSD with an IMO in place that helped a lot, I thought the $2,000 spent on the IMO was worth it and it was. Now time to pay it forward and volunteer. Blessed Thankful Grateful. 
    • my husband and i are just glad its over.  We will save the money for sure. Money cannot replace the trauma i have survived. Just glad its over and i can go on with my life
    • L,  congratulations on both your award and your degree as well,  Best of Luck to you,  I'm waiting to hear on my tdiu claim as well. 

silke

Predetermination Claim?

Question

Hello all,

On our e-bennies acount under claims status it has an open claim thats simply labeled as "Claim Type: Predetermination"....I have no clue as to what this could be, has anyone ever seen this before?

Thank you all

5 answers to this question

What it sounds like is; The rating you'll receive is only a temporary one untill VA gets all the info they need to close this claim out. Once they receive this info they will re-rate you. What is your claim for?

Coot

I have no claims other than Im awaiting an appointment as fidicuary for my husband...my husband was rated 100% permanent last year, which shows up as closed on ebene's, but there is an imcompetency issue. It would make sense if that was it, but no field agent has shown up yet for a visit and no retro money has been deposited......

The strange thing is that the predetermination claim opened on the day of his comp award (6-27-2011) and just closed yesterday and they sent out a letter....Ill let you guys know what it says if your interested......Have a great weekened!!

Thanks silke, it would be interesting to know what they say, mainly so I can obtain extra knowledge on these type of claims. I'm assuming he's rated for PTSD due to the mentioning of incompetency. Please excuse me silke if you already know the complete rating process, but the last 3 stages/phases of the process are (in order) [1] Pre-determination team where they make sure everything is in order for the rater, such as, C&P exams, evidence, c;file, duty to assist letters, etc. [2] Ratings ​where the RVSR Rating Veterans Service Representative reviews your file and makes a decision on the claim according to the law. [3] Post-determination team where the information is entered in the system and a letter of decision sent out.

Hope your not confused as why I stated this. I was thinking this would help to understand some of the process as to the term predetermination comes into the picture. JMO, there seems to be 2 parts of this claim, and since the rating part has already been determined, I'm thinking now the 2nd part has to do with the incompetency issue. So yes, please let me know since I'm curious, and possibly stand to be corrected.lol

Coot

I called the 800 number this morning and the pre-determination claim is for the incompetency issue, I will have to wait to get the decision letter to get any more information. I asked about these types of claims and they said, generally speaking, a "predetermination" claim can mean several different things. They could be proposing a rating of incompetence for VA purposes,

they could be proposing a reduction in VA benefits, they could be proposing to remove or add a specific dependent from the Veteran's award, etc....those were the examples they game me.......I suggested they make this a bit more clear on E-bennies. Thank you for your time and service Cooter!.......have a great day!

Thanks silke for the info! I'm with you, clarifying some of their terminology a little more broader.

Coot