VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iu Success

Rate this question

10mtnvet

Question

Hi guys posting this a little late as it was actually completed awhile ago. Anyway my situation was the following. 70% Army TDRL 90% VA on Soc Sec disability and pending CRSC.

I spoke with a VA benefits person (DAV I think) who had an office set up at the local VA in Richmond. She said that filing for IU would not be that big of deal just send in my soc sec award letter. I was somewhat more skeptical than her on this as nothing I have applied for yet has been "no big deal." Well I was wrong she sent in my letter from soc sec (early 2015) and it came back 3 weeks later approved to be paid at the 100% level and T/P.

I guess the lesson learned here for me would have been it takes a lot longer to appeal or file for a higher rating than it does to apply for IU so I would make IU. A priority if you think you qualify for it.

As far as social sec disability I got a lawyer that was absolutely worthless and costed 5 grand or so to get. I say worthless because I applied once and was denied but when I sent in my Narsum explaining my PTSD I was approved. I spoke with someone at the Soc sec office who was reviewing my case and he told me once they saw the Narsum that everything was pretty cut and dry and that the lawyer had no impact or effect on the decision.

Anyway a little late but this is some current information for what it's worth

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Congratulations on your award.

While we have "ancedotal" evidence, that your "Uncle Charlie" did xxx and got yyy, the statistics show you are more likely to be awarded benefits if you have a lawyer at least at the BVA level.

You should ask your attorney to file for EAJA benefits in your behalf. If he wont do that, then complain to the Board or CAVC, wherever your appeal is, that your attorney refuses to apply for EAJA benefits.