VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

NON-Combat claim

Rate this question

vlobo

Question

I have filed an Intent to File with the VA for non-combat PTSD. I w as recently denied MDD and Anxiety, but I never submitted for PTSD because I was waiting on more documentation. The claims stem from nightmares, difficulty sleeping and irritability. My private therapist diagnosed me with Chronic PTSD related to military service. The stressors I wrote about include a training accident where a tailgate crushed another soldier, right next to me's kevlar and put the soldier out. There was a medievac and all. We were later told the soldier survived but was med boarded. The second was an issue during a CONUS deployment. I have news paper articles, plenty of them, about this incident and orders proving I was on that deployment. I also have awards from the first accident involving the tailgate. Is there anything else I need to submit? Do private doctors usually fill out DBQs? What else can I do, or should I do. Anything will help. Thank you. 

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You will need a DSM5 PTSD Diagnose from the VA MH Dr's 

they will evaluate your symptoms  and ask you if you want to see a therapist   and start treatment (I advise to do so) there are 5 you need to meet the criteria.

I forget what they are but it will be in a chart in your medical evaualtion that says

1.Criteria A has been met

2.Criteria B has been met

3.Criteria C has been met

4.Critiera D has been met

5.Criteria E has been met

you will need your stressor's and medical documentation of the in service events

Your Lay statement of what happen and how this has change your life  ect,,,ect,,,

and a Dr to state he has read your medical records and examined you  & it is like as not'' this veterans trauma events is related to or caused by his prior military service

you should get a PTSD Forensic exam  

(they are not fun)....in my opinion.. & Just be honest with the examiner and make sure the examiner is Qualified to do this Exam.

after your PTSD C&P they (VA Rater) will evaulate that and send you a letter if you need any more documentation for your claim   if not then they take their ever loving time to make a decision.

its just wait wait wait.

Edited by Buck52

10 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

You will need a DSM5 PTSD Diagnose from the VA MH Dr's 

they will evaluate your symptoms  and ask you if you want to see a therapist   and start treatment (I advise to do so) there are 5 you need to pass with.

you will need your stressor's and medical documentation of the in service events

Your Lay statement of what happen and how this has change your life  ect,,,ect,,,

and a Dr to state he has read your medical records and examined you  & it is like as not'' this veterans trauma events is related to or caused by his prior military service

you should get a PTSD Forensic exam  

(they are not fun)....in my opinion.. & Just be honest with the examiner and make sure the examiner is Qualified to do this Exam.

after your PTSD C&P they (VA Rater) will evaulate that and send you a letter if you need any more documentation for your claim   if not then they take their ever loving time to make a decision.

its just wait wait wait.

Thanks Buck-

Is this something I go to the VA and ask for. I'm very comfortable seeing my therapist right now and not a real huge fan of changing therapists; now the most comfortable thing to discuss. How do I go about getting a diagnosis from the VA Dr? 

• HadIt.com Elder

You  can ask your VA PCP to refer you to the MH Clinic (Mental Health)  for a PTSD Evaluation .

That's generally how to get to MH....I'm not sure you can just go to the MH (Mental Health) and ask to see a Phyistrist or a Social Worker?

You might try that  but the referral form your VA PCP would help.

My PCP put in an order for me to see the MH...and they took it from there.

I first seen a LCSW( License Clinical Social Worker)

Unless you get in trouble with the LAW or Abuse some one because of your Condition your claiming (PTSD) The behavioral aspects of it would warrant that you see a mental Health D'r ASAP

• HadIt.com Elder

You can look up 38 CFR 4.125 For mental health Criteria.

Thanks again Buck! Another question I have is: Do you recommend I begin uploading all of the documentation I have to verify the stressor? I have awards from the field training exercise and a whole lot of new articles about the other event along with deployment orders, awards, letters from commanders. Should I upload that stuff into Ebenefits as supporting documentation? I have only opened an intent to file so far. I just want to have all my ducks in a row before I submit.