VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voluntary Commitment...

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

Hey guys, just wanted some advice on a decision I need to make today. My mental state has been rapidly declining lately, and I think I need to get some in house treatment quickly. My mood changes are occurring more frequently and my family is scared of what the next out burst will bring.

A friend of the family told me that I need to check myself into the hospital for evaluation and possible treatment. That sounds okay, as I am willing to do whatever it takes to get some help to rid myself of this pain, mentally and physically. Each time that I go to my PCP, I'm treated for everything, except what my complaints are. I went to the clinic last week and the nurse told me to return to the emergency room if things got worse. He set an appointment to see my PCP on the 19th, but I really don't think that I can wait until then.

I am taking Citalopram Hydrobromide(40 mg), but it has no effect whatsoever. I am starting to have hallucinations and have not had any sleep going on 2 days. My nerves are shot and I don't remember anything that I do 5 minutes afterwards.

My problem is, I don't know what to expect when I try to check myself into the hospital. I have heard so many horror stories about checking into the mental ward for observation and I am having second thoughts. Could someone give me some insight as how to handle this situation. Whatever decision I make has to be asap.

Thanks

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Social Security is supposed to give you credit for each quarter you served in Military during that period. It is not limited by time so if you served 2 years you would be entitled to 8 quarters credit. It can help you and is often over looked.You really need to talk to someone who understands this better than I

Thanks Pete....I will look into that. Guess I will call that law firm back and put this to them. Baffles me why they didn't know this. May be someone on here will see this thread and give me some feedback.

Do you mean to tell me that there is something that you don't have knowledge about ;)

Thanks

Thanks Pete....I will look into that. Guess I will call that law firm back and put this to them. Baffles me why they didn't know this. May be someone on here will see this thread and give me some feedback.

Do you mean to tell me that there is something that you don't have knowledge about :P

Thanks

Talked with the SS office today and was told the following:

"You don't have enough credits to file for disability, and if we did add your credits for military service, you would still not have enough credits. We don't base our decision on when you say you were unable to work, but when we have a doctor's diagnoses stating the date you were unable to work. Then we go back 10 years from that date. You are not eligible for SSI either because your household income is above the threshold set by law."

My doctor only entered into my records that I am unemployable due to my mental condition last month. I guess this means that SS is out of the question.

Edited by Sidney56

• HadIt.com Elder

No it means you need to get a Doc to use the date that you last were able to work and back it up with Social Security Earnings report. I am saying that you can get SS

Don't you dare give up. They just did you a favor and told you exactly what is needed.

Appeal the decision and go see a Doc to make it right.

No it means you need to get a Doc to use the date that you last were able to work and back it up with Social Security Earnings report. I am saying that you can get SS

Don't you dare give up. They just did you a favor and told you exactly what is needed.

Appeal the decision and go see a Doc to make it right.

Well I'm up banging my head against the wall because another sleepless night.

Thanks for the reply Pete. I forgot to inform you, that last year a relative hired me as a independent contractor, just so I could have a few dollars to help with the bills. Really didn't do anything,except answer the phone a few times a day. That project has ended. She is working on an out of state project now, so don't have that opportunity anymore. My accountant filed my 1099 income taxes showing $5000 as my income. Won't that show up on my Social Security Earnings report, therefore, me not being able to use an earlier date as not being able to work? Don't worry if you can't answer, I can contact my accountant if need be. He's very good. Use to work with the IRS, but quit because of some of their tactics.

The lady at the SS office was very adamant about those credits though. Do you know of someone that has gotten approved for SS without having enough credits to qualify?

I have an appointment with my psych next Thursday, and if anyone will write that letter, she probably will. If they require a treatment history dating back to 2004, I don't know how that would be handled.

I guess I'll do some pacing, maybe I can tire myself, so I can get a couple hours sleep.

• HadIt.com Elder

Five thousand dollars can be cover come if you got paid over a year and did not go over the SS Max.

Very important do not get distracted.

You need a Doc to certify and earlier date that will include the amount of quarters you need.That is the main thing.

Also if your relative can write a letter that the 5000 was paid for a project that you worked on for a year.

Five thousand dollars can be cover come if you got paid over a year and did not go over the SS Max.

Very important do not get distracted.

You need a Doc to certify and earlier date that will include the amount of quarters you need.That is the main thing.

Also if your relative can write a letter that the 5000 was paid for a project that you worked on for a year.

Yea Pete, the earnings were for about a years work. I will talk to the doc next week about a certification date. I first need to figure out what that date is myself.

Will keep on top of things Pete.