VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lyrica

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Lyrica is the next generation of Neurontin or Gabapentin. I think its a miracle drug and years ago I started taking it and it helped my panic disorder, made my feet feel better and I found that if I had a sore throat I could put the powder in a small amount of orange juice swallow it and sore throat was cured.

It also does not metabolize in your liver another plus in my book.

I like it but was surprised to learn VA is giving it to Veterans cause it is expensive.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any one have good results with lyrica? I am currently suffering (among other things) from possible permanant sciatic nerve damage and my neuro wanted my to try this. He also knows that I am on lexapro and clonazapam. I am slightly concerned about the interactions with these meds...suicidal thoughts aggression etc. Any one out there in hadit land taking lyrica with antidepressants?

All responses welcome!

My husband was on Lyrica, It really helped him with his back pain (DJD) and neuropathy. The only ting I will point out in regards to side effects is that people thinking of having children whether male or female, will not be able to do so on this medication, or for six months after they stop taking it. So if you are a young vet and are planning a family it is an important thing to think about. The other thing my husband and I have noticed though since he has stopped the med, is that he has little spasms at night, that to me seems like very very very mild seizures, like a muscle spasms with really quick breathing, which wakes him up. I don't know if you wanted to know that, but they start right after he quit the lyrica and they haven't stopped, they happen about once a week.

Edited by hawkfire27

Thanks for all of the responses! I am going to start taking it tomorrow. I talked to my physchiatrist and he said a lot of his patients take this along with anti-depressents without any complaints. Hope it works-have had STABBING butt pain for almost a year even after two surguries. I will monitor for side effects as they come. Hopefully it doesn't slow me down two much. Two clonazapams a day does that already. At least I am trying to wean of the vicodine.

Thanks-wish me luck...it's been one painful year!

Edited by 81150 CAFB

• 1 year later...

I started Lyrica a week ago for neuralgic pain and headaches. This drug has turned into another nightmare for me as so many others have.

Lyrica makes me VERY drowsy and leaves me feeling tired. It makes me dizzy and I walk into walls and such. It has given me a ravenous appetite which is not a good thing as I'm trying to lose weight, not pack it back on. It makes my muscles twitch like I'm being electrically shocked. In the last few days I've developed a nasty, red rash on the back of my hands and this morning I had to sneeze just after I woke up and was left with a handful of bloody mucous.

As today was a federal holiday, I could not reach my neurologist. I left a note via My HealtheVet and will try to call tomorrow.

I'm a Gulf War vet with GWI illness. A research report was just released noting that GWV's have a marked increase of adverse reactions to multi-pharacotherapy. This is 6th or 7th drug I've been prescribed in the last year or so that I've had to be taken off of because it was doing more harm than good. One drug, topamirate (Topamax) increased my tinnitus dramatically and, even after being off it for two months, the tinnitus has not gone back down to its previous volume.

I had high hopes for Lyrica but I'm sure my doc will tell me to stop it tomorrow.

KEEP an eye on that rash. Sounds like you may need to go to the ER if this gets ANY worse. I am not a Doctor but I was in the medical field is the AF after 6 years in the Air Police now called Security Forces. The rash is a reaction to that drug. The others don't sound good either.

Right now I'm on 600 mg Lyrica for PN and seen to work for the most part . Yes I have depression some, but over all it pretty good.

The only problem VA won't give it to me.mad.gif

I was on Gabapentin, now that's a bad, bad drug. It's a cheaper drug. Did I say VA is Cheap!blink.png