Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SC Multiple Sclerosis worse

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi All, and a special hello to Berta, Larry, Pete53, and of course TBird,  it has been awhile.  Love the site.  I am 100% SC MS, Asthma, back problem and my MS is getting worse.  In particular I have been falling.  The defining incident was when it was very hot this past summer and I fell in my garage and hit my head.  Did not lose consciousness.  I called my hubby who was at work and he took me to the ER.  I have fallen a few times inside since.  As my former civilian doctor has gone "concierge" I am now seeing a compassionate doc at the local VA clinic.  She signed off on Aid and attendance and Housebound.  My next step is to take the form to the county VSO.  He seems like a nice guy but like I read on here: he works for the VA.  So I see this as sort of the fox guarding the henhouse.  It would be great if my husband could quit to keep an eye on me but he has a job that does not have a pension, retirement plan, nor was he in the military.  I feel this may shoot us in the foot.  He has also had (in the last three years) a TIA and another type of brain issue called TGA (transient global amnesia) which is lack of blood flow to the brain.  This landed him in the hospital overnight and the billing dept. said the bill is squared away thru CHAMPVA.  I am grateful.  Also, he is only 57 so Social Security is a long way off.  We are not wealthy or rich or well to do by any means but have made it a point to save money because my hubby does not have a pension.  I have read on here assets will be looked at.  I am in a quandary as to what to do.  If anyone has anything info, I would very much appreciate it.  Thank you.  Holllie G.

Hollie- good to see you here again!

We have lost some members. Larry (if it is the Larry I think you mean) has passed away along with Carlie Cash, Testvet (Mike Bailey) , and Stretch (Mike Sasser).

We sure are still feeling those losses here but their posts will live in infamy at hadit.com and they will continue to,in their death, help many others who find their posts..

"I am now seeing a compassionate doc at the local VA clinic.  She signed off on Aid and attendance and Housebound.  My next step is to take the form to the county VSO." Great!

The county VSO works for the county you live in and not the VA.Maybe I misunderstood that part.

Not sure what you mean by "assets being looked at"....?

Have you applied for SSDI?

I am glad your husband gets CHAMPVA because it is a fabulous program.I had eye surgery in October and it looks like they paid a lot that Medicare didn't pay.

Your husband will not have a medication co pay under CHAMPVA if he gets his meds by mail.

I certainly feel they will award the HB or AA based on the VA doctor's opinion.

If you are a homeowner, does your county or state have a property tax exemption for you?

Edited by Berta

Hi Berta,  It is nice to be back.  I am so sorry to hear of the Passing of Larry (yes, he is the one who responded with a funny reply when I typed I was so frustrated I could bite my foot off) and also I am sad Carlie has passed.I remember TestVet and Stretch.  May they rest in peace.  Yes, my new compassionate doctor has signed the form; she even wrote I was "pleasant"---my husband joked and said she must be joking!

I thought county VSO's worked for the VA so thank you for setting me straight.

Yes, as part of my federal disability retirement in 2003 I went to the Social Security office and applied for and have been receiving SSDI. Along with my fed disability amount (which eats up the entire amount because I kept the BC/BS Federal employee health insurance for hubby and me.

Assests such as savings account, and the TSP (thrift savings plan) and a mutual fund. I read somewhere there is an 80k cap.

I hope I will be awarded AA and HB (my main hang out is here at home and the county VSO said it may be possible to have someone of my choice to come over once inawhile which would be good since I have fallen several times.

Yes, my county has the home exemption which helps a lot.  Just as you have Berta.  Thank you.  You be seeing me on the board now.

Have a good evening and stay warm!  Holllie

Hollie, 

You posted, " She signed off on Aid and attendance and Housebound."

It sounds like that is what you are seeking:  A and A or housebound.  You wont get both.  And, according to your post, your private doc has "signed off" on it.  

There may, however, be a disconnect between your private doc signing off and probative evidence, as your private doc may or may not know precisely the wording VA will require to make this happen.  

1.  To get housebound there are 2 routes to get there.  The first, and easiest is to have 100% plus another combined 60 percent and you should get "statuatory" housebound, where no exam is required.  The second "housebound" is "housebound in fact" where your doctor signs off that your are substantially confined to the premisis.  You normally need medical evidence for the housebound in fact. Criteria for housebound (SMC S):

(i) Total plus 60 percent, or housebound; 38 U.S.C. 1114(s). The special monthly compensation provided by38 U.S.C. 1114(s) is payable where the veteran has a single service-connected disability rated as 100 percent and,
(1) Has additional service-connected disability or disabilities independently ratable at 60 percent, separate and distinct from the 100 percent service-connected disability and involving different anatomical segments or bodily systems, or
(2) Is permanently housebound by reason of service-connected disability or disabilities. This requirement is met when the veteran is substantially confined as a direct result of service-connected disabilities to his or her dwelling and the immediate premises or, if institutionalized, to the ward or clinical areas, and it is reasonably certain that the disability or disabilities and resultant confinement will continue throughout his or her lifetime.

2.  To get Aid and attendance, you will likely need an exam, unless your doc has already given the evidence in a form VA requires.  The criteria for A and A is found in 38 cfr 3.352, as follows:

(a) Basic criteria for regular aid and attendance and permanently bedridden. The following will be accorded consideration in determining the need for regular aid and attendance (§ 3.351(c)(3): inability of claimant to dress or undress himself (herself), or to keep himself (herself) ordinarily clean and presentable; frequent need of adjustment of any special prosthetic or orthopedic appliances which by reason of the particular disability cannot be done without aid (this will not include the adjustment of appliances which normal persons would be unable to adjust without aid, such as supports, belts, lacing at the back, etc.); inability of claimant to feed himself (herself) through loss of coordination of upper extremities or through extreme weakness; inability to attend to the wants of nature; or incapacity, physical or mental, which requires care or assistance on a regular basis to protect the claimant from hazards or dangers incident to his or her daily environment. “Bedridden” will be a proper basis for the determination. For the purpose of this paragraph “bedridden” will be that condition which, through its essential character, actually requires that the claimant remain in bed. The fact that claimant has voluntarily taken to bed or that a physician has prescribed rest in bed for the greater or lesser part of the day to promote convalescence or cure will not suffice. It is not required that all of the disabling conditions enumerated in this paragraph be found to exist before a favorable rating may be made. The particular personal functions which the veteran is unable to perform should be considered in connection with his or her condition as a whole. It is only necessary that the evidence establish that the veteran is so helpless as to need regular aid and attendance, not that there be a constant need. Determinations that the veteran is so helpless, as to be in need of regular aid and attendance will not be based solely upon an opinion that the claimant's condition is such as would require him or her to be in bed. They must be based on the actual requirement of personal assistance from others.

Hi BroncoVet,

Thank you for reading my post.  My apologies...my new VA doctor signed off on the form and when she called me yesterday to see how I was feeling she advised I turn the form in to the county VSO.  He will be back next week.

I am seeking a cousin, one of my friends, preferably my husband to be here with me at home in case I need help.  Of great concern to all concerned is me having another fall at home.  I have fallen and hit my head several times, dislocated my knee cap (put back in place by the local VA orthopedic surgeon) and have seen a civilian ortho surgeon who has given me the "works for four days only" cortisone injection.  The civilian ortho is hesitant to do arthroscopic surgery because of the MS and I don't need any extra problems.

Again, I thank you for the valuable information.

Sincerely,

Holllie

Hi,

I was at my county VSO office for most of yesterday.  The "hurry up and wait" routine was exhausting.  But I heard a good joke and made a new friend. The joke was about two Russians who visit New York City (maybe you all have heard it---it is a bit risqué so I wont post it here) and the lady I made friends with is super nice.

Anyway, I finally got in to see the VSO (totally knows his stuff), and he noticed I have not been receiving SMC-K for the past 10 years.  He assured me he will look into it. 

So, I will just sit tight and wait.  In the mean time I have cataract surgery and Phys Therapy after the surgery.

I am sad to see Barry Coates has passed away.  Rest in Peace, Sir.

HG

Hollie, I had cataract removal surgery in October and it was very exciting.I was awake for the actual surgery which only takes about 12 minutes. There were lots of pre and post op appointments though...many requiring someone to drive me to the docs.

I do not need driving glasses anymore but I still suffer from how bright everything is and had to get special sun glass clip ons for using the PC. It is finally getting better.

OTC Systane eye drops help too.

I am glad you had a great VSO helping you.

There are sure some great ones out there, but they are always BUSY and often get burned out.