VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Back Pay Incorrect

Rate this question

chriscshunter

Question

So after over 4 years since I was honorably discharged (12/15/12), I just received confirmation of my PTSD being service connected among a couple other disabilities, and I am incredibly grateful to have this battle won, however the numbers and dates on the back pay are not accurate. Prior to this I was rated 30% disabled and paid $456.97 a month (married without children). I am now rated 90% disabled and still married without children which I believe is $1,894.71 a month. I received $33,328.04 in back pay on the 8th which I am entirely grateful for, but the numbers and dates are not at all accurate. According to the disability page the 'Effective Dates' are completely inaccurate. I went ahead and attached my claim history and my disabilities overview. I originally placed PTSD in the claim made on 12/08/2014, and even went to the VA for Trauma Recovery Program where I was diagnosed with PTSD before that, but the Effective Date says 3/30/2015. Even so if you calculate the difference of 30% to 90% its $1437.74 which I understand is just for this year as the pay fluctuates. That still roughly comes out to 23 months of back pay to July 2015.

Also the other dates are wrong and the scars claim effective dates don't even make sense as it says 12/15/2012 it was service connected then brings an arrow to 3/30/2015. Before this recent update the dates were correct. I don't know what to do... I am finally satisfied with my claim, but the back pay was screwed up. How do I get this corrected?

disabilities.png

disability claim history.png

Edited by chriscshunter

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

1 answer to this question

It looks like the VA did the same thing to you that they did to me.  When I was awarded IU and then again when I was awarded SMS they made the effective date the date that the claim was settled.  I would suggest that you get with your VSO and request a NOD on the date of award of benefits showing that you applied for the benefits on a date previous date.  They did backdate the IU award but did not backdate the SMS in my case.  Good Luck.