VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Audit caused spouse to be removed from compensation.

Rate this question

Tillmancard

Question

We received a letter hat requested a form to be completed verifying my veteran spouse. We completed the form and faxed it next day. Heard nothing back until they stopped paying for her compensation several months later.  We called and were told they were missing one page of the FAX.  We sent it again and apparently three months later it is still under review. Called numerous times. No help.   

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome to hadit.  Experienced Vets advocates know not to "rely upon" a fax to VA, but instead to mail stuff certified mail return receipt requested.  

However, if you have proof of faxing ALL the pages, it may help.  Or, it may not even be too late for you to send the dependents form, with applicable proof either via snail mail or electronically.  Its not unusual for benefits to take "several months"...some of us have been waiting for years, and I still dont completely have my claim resolved from 2002, and it probably wont be settled in 2018, either.  

A dependents claim of mine took 18 months.  

Welcome to the Department of Veterans Affairs.  A few years ago, there was an assistant VASEC who informed us that dependents claims should be processed immediately, as there was no "decision" necessary..you are either a dependent or not.  

You can try calling the white house hotline to expidite your claim.  855-948-2311

• HadIt.com Elder

I would take a guess here,

if they have all the necessary paper work to include your dependent allowance...you should be getting the back pay from when they stopped paying for your dependent.

Although  they may try to use the date on your new resent fax , but if you sent it in on an earlier date they should use that date.

usually you get a confirmation back from your original filing of your fax? Do you have that?

you can also send it in by snail mail with return receipt/they sign for it  is your prof they recieved it.  I sometimes do both  to make sure they get it.

Did they send you a letter letting you know your dependent allowance will be reduced? if they don't hear from you within 30 days?

Edited by Buck52

We live in Mexico and are both veterans. That may complicate issues. But, to answer the question, the last correspondence from them was the original request for the form. This is also reflected in e-benefits. It shows no communication and shows the date of claim review as June, 2017. 

Several years ago, a few Vets had good luck changing dependents by phone.  I have no idea if that will work for you, but they reported it did work in the past.  Try this number or send an IRIS email

1-844-698-2311