Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Donations

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1 Neutral

About Ian

  • Rank
    E-2 Recruit
  • Birthday October 6

Contact Methods

  • MSN

Profile Information

  • Location
    Battle Creek, MI
  • Interests
    Cooking, Baking, Fishing, Shooting

Previous Fields

  • Service Connected Disability
  • Branch of Service
  1. So I've been in a basic power chair (Q6 Edge) since 2015. Late 2016 was also fitted for a TiLite TRA manual (also keeping powerchair). 2017 was approved by Tampa VA for clothing allowance for lower. Moved to Battle Creek VA late 2017. Since then was issued new basic powerchair (Quickie P222-SE) to replace broken Q6. Still use TiLite also now can lightly ambulate with Forearm crutches. Use crutches 50%, and both chairs 25% each. Was approved for 1 clothing allowance this year for forearms crutches for upper. Was denied 2nd for chair/lower that was awarded last year because Chief Prosthetic states "powerchair takes precedence, you were issued that so you are to use only the powerchair". Also powerchair has gap between seat and leg mounts where clothes do get caught and tear. Clinician was I'll put it back in but"power chairs dont get clothing allowances", and "any review or appeal will only come back to me" I was approved for powerchair/custom manual combo clothing allowance last year; How do I word an appeal for the lower clothing allowance this year? My local DAV rep at the VA has no clue on how to handle this.
  2. Thanks, sent a PM. I'll detail the procedure as I go through it for a follow up reply to this to help others, if it can. I applied back in October, ebenefits is showing entitled to both. The works in process page is showing Pending Decision Approval so I know I still need to wait a few.
  3. Sorry if this a rehashed question. I applied for Automobile Grant (21-4502) October 11th. Ebenefits shows on benefits under Supplementary Benefits, "Entitled to Automobile Grant of up to $20,114.34 and Adaptive Equipment for your Automobile." Obviously I need to wait for the form/certificate to be sent back to proceed. My VA Driver Rehab/KT recommended Hitch lift, wheel knob, and hand controls. Plus I have 4 kids, so a minivan wouldn't really fit the bill. My question is what then? Most mobility dealers in my area sell the roll-on minivans. So can I just go to any regular dealer, pick out a vehicle, then take it to the local VA Approved conversion shop / mobility dealer? I just don't want to run in circles. Also if any fellow chair users have advice on type of vehicle, I'm open to recommendations.
  4. If your husband is Retired Military and would be eligible for care on post, he can order a standard pair from the Navy for free and they would mail them. http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nostra/order/Pages/Retiree.asp
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines