Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Suggestions On How To Proceed

Rate this question

John Purser

Question

Okay, the real world facts are I was injured in a jump accident in '85 and messed up my lower spine. Surgery, rehab, the works. No SC question about all this. The upshot was chronic pain that has gotten worse over the last 20 years resulting in my being unable to get out of a recliner long enough to hold a regular job.

Another real world fact is that the VA doesn't consider pain to be a problem for back injuries when it comes to rating for compensation. As a result I'm stuck at 20% compensation with no job and no prospects.

I've also been diagnosed and treated for depression and PTSD, both by the VA and both with a service connection but only after I left the service. My VFW rep seems to be reluctant to file on these claims but a fellow service member is telling me that's crazy, I should file for anything with a valid basis to it.

Thoughts, suggestions, experience? Which way should I go on this?

Thanks.

John Purser

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

John like Vike17 said submit all of your claims at once, I did that for John and our VA Rep told us that we were the only one's that had it all organized other wise she would have advised us one at a time. This is the problem we are having with my Brother and Nephew is that their VA Rep told them one at a time and now it is causeing more headaches and wait time. So for them I have now typed up a formal claim form with everyone of their problems and on Tuesday we will be handing my Brothers claim at the Regional office in Milwaukee, Their VA Rep has done nothing to help either one of them. Matter of fact with my Nephew his mother and I went with hip to the Rep and he signed the sheet that I had typed up and she still did not file all of the claims. I typed up a letter in support of his claim stating if I can find all of this info in his SR's than there is no reason that the VA can not find them. Trust me they didn't even find the sexaul assault that was 4 pages long and I found it and when we went to the regional office I showed his Rep there, and he coppied it and now that is on file otherwise they did not even find that. My believe is if you do the leg work and have it all down, it will be better for you in the long run. I have told my Brother and Nephew that they need to get a different Rep they tried and that Rep also told them one at a time. Don't Believe that if it is all down you have a better chance on getting a higher rating. That is what I did for John and I also had all Dr. records, A lot of paper work and a lot of headaches but it was better for him in the long run

JohnM's Wife Dianne

do not file multiple, file a ammended claim. Then everything is under the same date you filed the original claim. Just use a statement in support of claim and state you want to file a ammended claim (to the claim I originally filed on) and that you beleive the following conditions (list) to be service connected and you wish them to be added to your original claim.

Edited by BETRAYED

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

This is an interesting concept. So if you file a claim - and it is still open - you can keep adding to the claim and maintaining the date the orginal claim was filed for your file date on all conditions?

Free

do not file multiple, file a ammended claim. Then everything is under the same date you filed the original claim. Just use a statement in support of claim and state you want to file a ammended claim (to the claim I originally filed on) and that you beleive the following conditions (list) to be service connected and you wish them to be added to your original claim.
Think Outside the Box!

This is an interesting concept. So if you file a claim - and it is still open - you can keep adding to the claim and maintaining the date the orginal claim was filed for your file date on all conditions?

Free

The book I quoted that from was writen by a former VA employee. He knows what he is talking about. Do a search for ammended claims.

Edited by BETRAYED

Betrayed

540% SC Schedular P&T

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND THE VA WILL MEET THEM !!!

WEBMASTER BETRAYEDVETERAN.COM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the street, you feel them staring you know they hate you you can feel their eyes a glarin'

Because you're different, because you're free, because you're everything deep down they wish they could be.

In short, yes; file a claim for PTSD regardless of how you file it (separate or ammended).

As for pain - do as berta said and go for TDIU, but pain is a tricky beast. Even in the civilian world, pain is very difficult to rate in terms of SS. The best thing you can do is keep those IMOs coming that say you are unable to work and you are severely limited in the motions you can carry out.

As for filing your PTSD claim - get all the info you can first. Go to someone who specializes in anxiety disorders (psychiatrist, NOT psychologist) and read through the global assessment of functioning and the criteria for mental disorders in order to properly word your condition. With mental disorders it's all about the wording used and the GAF given by the doctors....if you get a bad GAF (IE - low) you can still get a low rating based on poor wording and vice-versa. The reason so many vets get low-balled on PTSD is that their pride gets in the way of their true feelings and they end up down-playing their symptoms.

G'luck,

Jason