Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son Starting College

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

We are filling out the VA form Form 22-5490 for our son to request the educational assistance for DEA Educational Benefits. (Chapter 35 educational).

Once the form is mailed -does anyone know how long before we hear back?

Does VA send a letter of eligibility, that he takes to the school?

He is scheduled to start college in August.

Also, we have read in a couple of different places that it may be best to defer getting the educational benefits until later, but it doesn't explain why it would be better, does anyone have any imput?

Tt looks like the monthly benefit is $860.00 for full time school. Is this correct? Sorry for so many questions. I trust in the folks at Hadit more than the VA counselors.

Thank you for any advise/knowledge on this.

Jangrin

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Jan,

Have you taken any out of state classes? Do you have to pay the out of state tuition fees when you are doinf internet/distant learning classes?

No, I haven't taken any out-of-state classes, but I would imagine out of state charges would apply even if you're taking distance learning (depending on where your place of residence is...I know a military person can live in, say, Texas, but claim residency in Florida and, therefore, get in-state fees for schools in Florida).

Also, how does the Pell Grant work? Is that based on finanacial need?

Pell grant is based on your family income and varies depending on what said income is. If you qualify, based on finances, you take your award to the school finance office and they deduct the pell grant award from your fees (books included) and whatever is left over is given to you in a form of a check (if there is any left over). Pell also stacks with the VA, so if your pell grant covers your entire tuition, you get to keep your Ch 35 payments as free cash:-)

The downside to Pell is that it *is* based on YOUR finances being that your son lives with you. So, he will only get the pell if you and your husband fall below a certain income level (which is fairly high mind you).

Are you paying 50% tuition because your state gives you a break on the fees?

50% tuition is a state law in Washington, just as many veterans get property tax breaks in other states based on 100% status. Each individual college can set their own policies also, so it may vary by state and college.

I'm in Texas and they don't give any breaks on tuition as far as I have been able to tell. I've been searching for information on that but havn't found any yet. Maybe someone on Hadit knows for sure.

Best thing to do is call around to the colleges and see if they have a veteran's office....I'm sure they'll know more about tuitions breaks than anyone else.

A local vet who reads the posts asked me what was meant by "shady" internet schools-

There certainly are many out there-

The VA does not approve them anyhow.

American Military University was started by the United States Marine Corps and 95% of my instruction has been from USMC officers, as well as a Lt Col-Army Vietnam and a USAF scientist.

I will have naval officers for the Amphibious Warfare coure this fall.

The local vet thought my school was being questioned here and I assure you Jay-I certainly did not take the remark that way at all.

I am happy to share my grades and the work I did to get them if anyone is interested- it is been VERY hard work.The first Prof I had -seeing I was a civilian was VERY tough on me-

until I did the first assignment-

a tactical battle plan, based on a real photo in Vietnam-post warfare-

with the en moving through a rice paddy etc-

He wants me to send some of my warfare and leadership essays and this tactical maneuver war game plan to the Marine Corps Gazette as he felt it was work quite worthy of publication.(Major Brian Gudmusson -USMC Quantico) His background and all profs mil experience etc is at the AMU site-his brother is often on the History channel- an expert on WWII)

Top notch internet colleges and universities are out there and fully VA approved.

But it is good to be wary -as Jay said----of some of them-and the places that will send you a diploma in anything for a few hundred bucks- this is disgraceful

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Guest jangrin

Berta and All,

I did not take the post as a put down or be weary of your internet school either. I know their are very reputable schools on the internet. My sister is the administrator for an internet high school, fully credentialed mind you. They have great teachers, and a very good curriculum.

My sister's husband was career USAF, and 30 years ago, before it was popular my sister home schooled her five kids. She helped develope this internet school. I guess she was somewhat of a pioneer. But you'll never hear her brag about it. So there are good internet, acredited schools. Here is a link to see if an online school is accredited.

www.directoryofonlineschools.com

Thanks Everyone for the insight on the Chapter 35 benefits. These are great benefits for veterans and families.

Jangrin- one thing about AMU- and maybe other schools like it- if there are any-

since they have primarily enlisted students-a student can access their classroom even while out of the country on TDY-they also take the military obligations into consideration if more time is needed for homework and exams.

and one of my teachers graded my homework from Okinawa- where he was TDY-so they understand how it is different for active military to attend school and even to teach it.

I think the local vet was concerned because he wants his son -in the service- to consider my school.

This has been a great discussion Jangrin and many here added very good info because so many of us have college age children and spouses of vets here also might be eligible for Chap 35.

PS any GI Billers- I have a better link than the VA link-for the whole story on that-

then again anyone on GI Bill should be able to get excellent help on how that works from their school VA counselor.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is little or no relationship between tuition and what the VA pays. Tuition is Texas has gone up substantially over the years.

In 1963 my tuition at North Texas University was $ 45 for 15 credit hours and my books cost less than 100 bucks.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Aye, that certainly was not my intent:-) I was refering more to schools like the "University of Phoenix online", which tend to give degrees that one can utilize, but whose degrees do not typically meet college level standards and most of the credits earned will not transfer if someone decides to take a more specialized field after the 4 year degree (which means, essentially, you've wasted your money in that example).

Military schools tend to offer a lot of online courses because, obviously, military people cannot regularly attend fixed classes, so they are the exception to the rule in most cases.

It's best, if possible, to attend a normal college that *offers* online classes, but doesn't *specialize* in them. All of the schools I've attended were regular schools, although I've gotten the majority of my degree(s) online and I haven't had an issue with credits transferring (other than the typical, "well, we don't give credit for that because that school isn't as good as this one" BS, you run into with every new college).

Anywho, I wasn't implying that Berta, or any other online school specifically, is a bad school; rather, I was simply pointing out that online schools are very hit or miss and that just because one wants to do distance learning does not mean that one needs to attend a "distance learning" college. Most colleges offer tons of online courses/degrees.