Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Son Starting College

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

We are filling out the VA form Form 22-5490 for our son to request the educational assistance for DEA Educational Benefits. (Chapter 35 educational).

Once the form is mailed -does anyone know how long before we hear back?

Does VA send a letter of eligibility, that he takes to the school?

He is scheduled to start college in August.

Also, we have read in a couple of different places that it may be best to defer getting the educational benefits until later, but it doesn't explain why it would be better, does anyone have any imput?

Tt looks like the monthly benefit is $860.00 for full time school. Is this correct? Sorry for so many questions. I trust in the folks at Hadit more than the VA counselors.

Thank you for any advise/knowledge on this.

Jangrin

• Answers 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin

Berta & Jay,

Thank you very much. That does help us. We found the form, I think we need to put my husbands award letter, and a copy of my husbands DD-214 along with my son's application for Education benefits. I think then the VA sends back the eligibility letter and my son takes that to the school when he has his counceling appointment. Then once he is registered/or pre-registered he sends in his paperwork and they will start the support education benefit payments. I think they wait about 3 to 4 weeks before they send out checks just in case people drop or change classes from full to part time in the beginning of each semister.

According to the pamphlet, he is eligible for support of 860.00 per month for 45 months of education between the age of 18 and 23 or may 28 years old. Then if he goes into the military he would qualify for additional educational benefits.

I also am thinking of going back to school and take advatage of this opportunity. As the wife, I would also receive $860.00 per month full time.

If I did local college or distant learning through public education it would not be that expensive. Private education or over the internet by private school the costs are much more for tuition. Being "old" I might be able to apply for grants also. This is a very GOOD benefit for the family members of 100% vets.

Berta, I think if you were taking classes through the public education like NY state university or University of NY, or State or City Junior College, you would have to pay tuition and books, but it would be much cheaper. You would get &860.00 per month for the 45 months. With you going to "war" college it costs more in tution, so it takes your whole education benefit amount of $860.00 per month. I think city junior college here for full time is about $35.00 per unit per semester. So it would be about 600 to 700 dollars per semester for 12 units and books. And one month ed support would pay for that the rest could be put in the bank to use later for higher tuition institution like med school or masters degree program, etc.

Berta, your war school tuition costs more but I think the benefit payment is the same for everyone. I think it boils down to how one decides to spend the money and for what type of education.

Is that what you've been trying to explain to my thick head? I told you sometimes it takes a brick with me.

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

Jangrin,

The school counselor will only send him to the school's VA office. Honestly, the school's VA office can do everything for you, but it greatly speeds things up if you ge that letter as you're planning to do.

The 3-4 week period is simply a processing thing that takes place when you initially sign up. After you get signed up and the checks start coming, all you have to do is check in with the school's VA office (every few terms) to make sure that you are still attending full-time classes.

The most difficult part is getting the letter from the VA...when you've done that it's just a matter of time before the checks start coming.....

- Jason

Edited by Jay Johnson

Guest jangrin
Jangrin,

The school counselor will only send him to the school's VA office. Honestly, the school's VA office can do everything for you, but it greatly speeds things up if you ge that letter as you're planning to do.

The 3-4 week period is simply a processing thing that takes place when you initially sign up. After you get signed up and the checks start coming, all you have to do is check in with the school's VA office (every few terms) to make sure that you are still attending full-time classes.

The most difficult part is getting the letter from the VA...when you've done that it's just a matter of time before the checks start coming.....

- Jason

Jason, Thanks so much. Do you know if my husband needs to call anyone or do anything once our son is signed up. The checks will be sent to our son for education but I think the VA will deduct the dependent payment my husband has been getting from his VA comp check. Also, my son will no longer recieve any social security once he turns 18. It used to be that kids got to draw SS if they lived at home and went to school and the parent was disabled or deceased. The government has very quietly taken that benefit away from dependents too.I don't ever remember hearing or reading about that coming up for vote. Too bad as it is really hard for kids to go to school and work now days.

Thanks for the help. jangrin

Jason, Thanks so much. Do you know if my husband needs to call anyone or do anything once our son is signed up. The checks will be sent to our son for education but I think the VA will deduct the dependent payment my husband has been getting from his VA comp check. Also, my son will no longer recieve any social security once he turns 18. It used to be that kids got to draw SS if they lived at home and went to school and the parent was disabled or deceased. The government has very quietly taken that benefit away from dependents too.I don't ever remember hearing or reading about that coming up for vote. Too bad as it is really hard for kids to go to school and work now days.

Thanks for the help. jangrin

I'm not sure about how 18+ year old dependents works for the VA. I *thought* you would continue to claim them as long as they went to school, but I'm not sure how that conflicts with Ch 35 benefits. Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't done aynthing since signing up for my benefits (I'm the spouse by the way, not the veteran). My wife wasn't even needed to sign up or aynthing. All that is required of the veteran is to send off the award letter and the 214 (which the spouse can do).

The only thing required of me is to check in with the school VA office every other semester to make sure I'm still going to school full-time, but I did that via email this past semester, so it really wasn't a hassle at all.

Guest jangrin
I'm not sure about how 18+ year old dependents works for the VA. I *thought* you would continue to claim them as long as they went to school, but I'm not sure how that conflicts with Ch 35 benefits. Anyway, to answer your question, I haven't done aynthing since signing up for my benefits (I'm the spouse by the way, not the veteran). My wife wasn't even needed to sign up or aynthing. All that is required of the veteran is to send off the award letter and the 214 (which the spouse can do).

The only thing required of me is to check in with the school VA office every other semester to make sure I'm still going to school full-time, but I did that via email this past semester, so it really wasn't a hassle at all.

Thanks Jay,

From one spouce to another, thanks for the information, please tell you wife we said thank you for serving and welcome home. It makes things so much easier when others can share their experiences and give directions to those going through the same or similar things. We will be mailing the form and DD-214 off tomorrow to get the letter before our son starts school. I appreciate you spending the time during your weekend. Have a nice evening.

Jangrin

Thanks Jay,

From one spouce to another, thanks for the information, please tell you wife we said thank you for serving and welcome home. It makes things so much easier when others can share their experiences and give directions to those going through the same or similar things. We will be mailing the form and DD-214 off tomorrow to get the letter before our son starts school. I appreciate you spending the time during your weekend. Have a nice evening.

Jangrin

It's the least I can do, Jan:-) Good luck with the process and please check back in if something goes bad...it's a state by state thing, so I'm guessing some states are smoother/quicker than others.