Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Claims

Rate this question

VAVA

Question

A member suggested that I write about my experience here cuz it might help some vets. Well, I applied for SC for diabetes in 2003. Since I got out in1993 and didn't get diagnosed until around 2003, SC was hard to prove. I showed my active duty medical records to my doc and he concurred that I didn't have diabetes then. Moreover, VA reps that I talked to were more discouraging than encouraging. They told me that if I was not in Vietnam, I couldn't get SC for diabetes. Fortunately, I have a friend who is a corpsman who told me about the way they were doing things then so that the member who does have a disability doesn't get medically discharged. They would say, for example, "elevated blood sugars" instead of the word diabetic. Or high-cholesterol levels, high glucose level which could translate to high blood pressure or diabetes. So what I did, I asked my doctor his honest opinion about how the escalation of my condition happenned. He said that because my "elevated blood sugar levels" were not properly addressed while I was in active duty, it progressed into full blown diabetes. I told him to write a letter to that effect, submitted it to the VA and got approved after an initial denial and several rebuttal letters from me. Took 3 years. I got my award letter on a Saturday afternoon. Frst thing I did Monday was go to the VA reps office and showed them the letter. I told them that they should not tell vets that it would get denied if any claim has a chance of getting approved. Funny thing is, after a year, I went to the same VA office and they asked me what my rating was for. I said diabetes and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Were you in Vietnam?". I said no then she continued to ask "How did you get approved?". Anyway, fast forward to present, I put in several claims of other things after I reviewed all my medical records, wrote all the letters myself without any help from the rep and yesterday I got the award letter putting me now at 100%. I hope this inspires you all and good luck on all your claims.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

VAVA- I asked you too-I think about Vietnam service-

because I had a diabetes vet with symptoms inservice but no diagnosis at all- and 12 years later he got SC for diabetes-

not in Vietnam .

the military knows more today about many disabilities such as diabetes than they did when many of you served.

But even without a concrete diagnosis in SMRs- anything that is documented symptoms of a disease or condition can be often proof of manifestation of the claimed disabiltiy in service.

NOT easy- but you did well and others should pay heed to your success here-

(Plus you never gave up!)

Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

When I had the AO exam I got a diagnosis of High Glucose levels and Pre-diabetes. Not until I actually filed a claim for DMII did I get the proper diagnosis. If I had not filed the claim I don't think the VA would have even made the DMII diagnosis and I can believe the military capable of anything. The VA is bad about acknowledging certain diseases but the military is ten times worse. Their are probably thousands of vets who are being sandbagged on DMII, HBP and other chronic diseases.