Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Scorce

Rate this question

majrrich

Question

I am new to this site after reading many posts I am confused. there are many different opinions oln this site and for a newcomer with PTSD I am confused. My question is my private Dr gave me a GAF of 58 and sthe VA wants the records from him. Do I provide this info or not?? Will it hurt my case or not. Thanks

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

What are you looking for. A GAF of 58 does not support a 100% claim but it is not the only thing that they will use.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Do one of two things:

1) Tell your civilian doctor that your are filing a PTSD claim with the VA and that they tend to low ball claims. So, let him know that he cannot do the typical good day/bad day stuff...he MUST focus ONLY on your low points and give a new GAF that best reflects how bad you can be. In fact, ask him for s thorough evaluation that says how occupationally and socially impaired you currently are (at your low points).

2) Hire a new doctor if #1 doesn't work:-)

Thanks to all for your responses. I do have a solid stressor so thats not an issue. I lost my job because of PTSD. I installed signs for century 21 and wasnt able to deal with the public, startyed to make mistakes and continually got into arguements, i bascially have no friends and do not go outside if my neighbors are out. I find it very difficult to admit to myself or others about thoughts of sucide, My wife will work 12 hours a day just to stay out of the house This memorial day was a disaster, A plane dropped naplam on my MG position on the 29th of May 1966. and the air show went directly over my house for 2 days. I had my worst flashbacks ever and am an emotional wreck. In addisdftion I have a C&P tomorrow for PTSD and am anxious about that!!

Thanks to all and thanks for this site for fletting me Vent my furstrations

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry for your troubles but not being able to work and your symptoms plus your verifiable stressor you should get 100% in some form or another.

Good Luck on your C&P. Don't dress up and answer questions like you feel most of the time.I also don't think its a good idea to discuss problems you had before military.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Definitely don't discuss or bring up any problems as a child or teenager in school or with legal system. If you had some family problems forget them. They use this stuff to brand you a personality disorder. You were perfec until the military.