Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Are The Rules When You Are Receiving C & P And

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

Hi All,

Does anyone know the rules about when you are receiving a high % of compensation for service connected disabilities and still drilling in a reserve military unit? I know that you can't collect both money from the VA and military. My question deals with the fact that if you have a high rating, doesn't the VA expect you to retire your medical career?

My military job is basically just stitting on a chair using a PC all day.

Joe

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I will try to check that question out-

it is a good one-

Carl Brashear was the first AfroAmerican US Navy Master Diver. He died last year.

After many years in the Navy he lost his leg due to an inservice accident and the mil wanted to retire him as disabled. Although the Movie "Men of Honor" is a little different then the true story-

Brashear did retain his diving career in the Navy after an amputation of his damaged leg.

It wasn't easy at all-he had to still perform as if he did not have any disability at all.

Your issue is different but I would think there are drill qualifications that- as long as you still can meet- perhaps you can stay in in the Reserves.

I dont know- a friend of mine- Commander Naval Reserves-worries about this all the time-health issues and especially his body weight-but as long as he passes the annual physical it seems he can stay in for maybe 2 more years.

I dont know where to even look for an answer to your question-do the Reserves have a handbook that might cover this?

hope others here chime in too----

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

GREAT LINK Huskerfanfl- thanks!

I hope Tbird can put this into maybe a special place in the search feature under Reservists and VA disability because I think we are going to be getting more of these types of questions as to disabled reservists due to Iraq and Afganistan.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks all for the link. I will do some research on it.

I checked with the unit and they have no clue. They did say their was a reserve soldier with 90% VA rating and he was able to drill. THe unit just does PC based was games, so not much physical stress.

Joe

That link talkes about you not being allowed to receive VA C&P and drill pay at the same time. You have to pick one or the other and VA makes the adjustments.

What I am trying to find out is if there is a reg that says if you have X% rating from VA then yoiou can't be in the reserves anymore. I am not sure even if this exists. My unit is fairly low key, we run PC based computer war simulations. So there are no real physical challenges.

Joe

What you are looking for is in the personnel regulations of the service, not the VA regulations. The answer would depend on your MOS and the PUHLES qualifications for that MOS. If you fall outside the limits, they can do a medical board to determine fitness for duty. If the board decides you are fit for duty then there would be no problem. You need to talk to your personnel folks.

Tim

Vet and proud of it