Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Life Insurance Becuase Of Ptsd

Rate this question

calnight

Question

I applied for a life insurance policy for 300,000 term policy and was denied becuase of my ptsd.Everything else checked out find blood work and etc. The lady from the insurance company said there was to much risk becuase of the siucide rate with ptsd. I asked if I had lost a arm or leg would I have been approved and she said yes. Every were I turn it seems that mental health issues have a big stigma attached to them.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yep. There is quite a bit of discrimination in our society based on mental health issues.

When I took my son to DORS to see about getting him in a work program - the woman talked to him for awhile - and then started talking to me as if he wasn't there. So he just kind of wandered out.

Geez! She snapped "Did he just get up and walk out????"

I wanted to say "No. He is still here....."

I should have said "Well.. you were acting as if he was not in the room - so I guess he thought you were finished with him.."

But she went on and on telling me how he couldn't get a job if he just wandered off like that.

This was a program to get jobs FOR people with disabilities.

They would NOT tell a blind person they had to see better - or a deaf person they had to hear better - or a person in a wheelchair they had to walk.

Free

I applied for a life insurance policy for 300,000 term policy and was denied becuase of my ptsd.Everything else checked out find blood work and etc. The lady from the insurance company said there was to much risk becuase of the siucide rate with ptsd. I asked if I had lost a arm or leg would I have been approved and she said yes. Every were I turn it seems that mental health issues have a big stigma attached to them.

I was under the impression that a life insurance policy will not pay out in the event of a suicide? So, why would the suicide rates of PTSD patients matter. You should call them back and point out the harsh reality that if they are concerned about that then you should be an automatic approval as if you are likely to commit suicide, it would only save them from having to pay out the insurance money.

PTSD is a disability and in most cases directly caused by your military service. There should be a program out there to help Vets in this situation.

I think most policies just don't cover suicide (while sane)for the first two years. After that - they cover it.

Free

I was under the impression that a life insurance policy will not pay out in the event of a suicide? So, why would the suicide rates of PTSD patients matter. You should call them back and point out the harsh reality that if they are concerned about that then you should be an automatic approval as if you are likely to commit suicide, it would only save them from having to pay out the insurance money.

PTSD is a disability and in most cases directly caused by your military service. There should be a program out there to help Vets in this situation.

I would imagine the companies wouldn't cover suicide at all if they were allowed to do so. But it would be like most other things - after two years they can't contest anything but fraud. If you outright lie on the application - they can probably contest that indefinately. But if you die of some dreaded disease within the first two years - they can contest your claim - even if you thought you were healthy when you apply. That doesn't mean they don't have to pay -- but it means they have a better chance of not paying within the first two years.

I think they get you on secondary connections on some of those contests. You didn't reveal that you had ___ because it didn't seem important - but the ___ led to ___ which caused ____ which led to your death.

I think the two year limit on suicide would protect the company from people who buy policies with the intent to kill themselves. Two years is a long time to wait just to do that.

I had a friend who told me that she decided to kill herself - and was going to walk out in front of a truck. But then she was afraid they would find drugs in her system and not pay the insurance -so she decided to get off the drugs before she killed herself -- and really kept to the plan - but at some point she started feeling so good when she got off the drugs -she decided not to kill herself. One of those happy endings.

I could see where suicide would be higher among people with PTSD. And the risk would probably be as high two years after the policy was issued. Living with PTSD is not an easy thing.

And a $300,000 policy is a pretty substantial one. So they would probably be more picky on that amount. A lawyer would certainly be willing to argue with them for quite some time for that amount of money.

Maybe the VA could sell special PTSD life insurance. Or give it to you free when they send you to a war.

Free

Wow, I had no idea. I always thought it was an automatic no payment. I have learned my new thing for the day now. Thanks for passing on the info.