Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied Life Insurance Becuase Of Ptsd

Rate this question

calnight

Question

I applied for a life insurance policy for 300,000 term policy and was denied becuase of my ptsd.Everything else checked out find blood work and etc. The lady from the insurance company said there was to much risk becuase of the siucide rate with ptsd. I asked if I had lost a arm or leg would I have been approved and she said yes. Every were I turn it seems that mental health issues have a big stigma attached to them.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

That sure is the truth. The new gimmic now is to offer insurance and NOT even unwrite it. No health questions asked. They take your premiums - and then when you die - they want to look at your medical records to see if they should pay you.

I am fighting that with an insurance company right now. They sure didn't mind taking his money - but now that he died - they want to see if he was "insurable."

Free

Insurance companies like taking in premiums but hate paying on claims.
Think Outside the Box!

Insurance in this country is quickly becoming a joke. At 30, I cannot qualify for any life insurance because I'm overweight. Despite the fact that I jog 6 miles per day and bench 350 and have very little body fat (non-smoker, rarely drink, etc); I am a risk because I weigh 225 @ 6'1".

So, being denied for a preexisting condition like PTSD really doesn't surprise me at all.

Now-a-days, if your work doesn't subsidize your insurance, it's not worth getting any. I think they want something like $150/mnth from me for a 30K policy (privately obtained of course). It's madness.......

BTW, the wife is a 100% disabled vet and has been since she left the service and she has no life insurance policy and can't get one (of any real value)....thus is life....

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the free 10,000 and then bought the 20,000 the term was like 45 a month since my life expectancy was 8 years for CHF and it was diagnosed in 2002 it seems like a good bet insurance is betting you are betting you are going to die, the insurance company is betting you won't for a long time people with mental issues that have a high rate of suicide are not a good bet, given some of us have families and probably would not want to put them in the position of losing us, our income, but then to leave them with the costs of burying us with no insurance to help is a good deterrent I have told my wife if I die in a VA hospital leave me there, they will bury me in the National Cemetary and they have to tell her where they put me later it's not like I want her visiting every day but if Fort Jackson gets there act together and get the new National Cemetary in I will prepay the costs to make sure they don't jerk her for the high cost stuff who needs a fancy casket, when you are dead I don't think the accomodations matter anymore and she can use the money more than I need the 8000 casket but me in the 995 special the flag makes them all look the same anyway

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder
Yep. There is quite a bit of discrimination in our society based on mental health issues.

When I took my son to DORS to see about getting him in a work program - the woman talked to him for awhile - and then started talking to me as if he wasn't there. So he just kind of wandered out.

Geez! She snapped "Did he just get up and walk out????"

I wanted to say "No. He is still here....."

I should have said "Well.. you were acting as if he was not in the room - so I guess he thought you were finished with him.."

But she went on and on telling me how he couldn't get a job if he just wandered off like that.

This was a program to get jobs FOR people with disabilities.

They would NOT tell a blind person they had to see better - or a deaf person they had to hear better - or a person in a wheelchair they had to walk.

Free

I have been diagnosed with Major Depression with Bi-Polar tendencies (by the MH team at Dallas VAMC). And I am being treated appropriately for my disease.

What I get a kick out of is when someone makes a disparaging remark about someone else being "crazy", is this:

I tell them, "Hey, I'm crazy too. Heck, I've got documentation to prove it, and medicine to make me better. It's YOU fools that DON'T know you're crazy that really worries me."

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph