Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have A Few Questions

Rate this question

gdsnide

Question

My question being according to Neurology Now (An official publication of the American Academy of Neurology May/June 2007) people with Epilepsy suffer from uncontrolled depression. Can I apply for this?

I am rated 100% T & P SC for the Epilepsy which was caused by 2 Shore Patrolmen & I in a bar in Japan in 1967 ( Sort of fuzzy what caused the commotion as I had been in bar a couple of hours) in which they beat me with their Batons & when I went down on the floor immediatly started stompping on me.

Symptoms started showing up shortly after that.Luckily I had a Ship Mate in Bar with me that saw it happen & another friend saw me have a Tonic Clonic ( Formly known as Grand Mal) Seizure when I was home on leave in 1967 after this happpened.

The Seizure meds ( Since 1996 when I started going to the VA) the VA has me on cause mental confusion ( Like I need that..ha) & what ever else I have no idea.

They have me on appox. 20 pills a day so as a result of the pills & the Epilepsy I can't remember a damn thing from one day till the next.

Long term memory seems to be OK.

I have filed for Aid & Attendance but they (BVA) are at June '95 & say they got my claim January 1996.

Anybody have any idea how long a wait I have on that?

I can't drive due to Epilepsy,can go no where by my self as I get lost all the time,have been advised not to take a bath unless someone is in room as I may have a Seizure & drown.

Neurology Now states " 50 Million people world wide have Epilepsy & anticonvulsive medicine is ineffective for as many as one in three.

Seizures occur when electricial impluses from Neurons in the Brain become synchronized in an abnormal way.The result is a disruption of electricial communications between these Neurons that leads to the release of excessive energy.

Some Experts call them "Brain Storms"

Seizures are essentially waves of "Electrial Energy".

At present I am taking anti seizure drugs Dilantin & one of the side effects is mental confusion among others,Lamical causes the following Adverse Reactions (%)

Adverse Reaction Lamotrigine Placebo

Dizziness 38 13

Headache 29 19

Double Vision 28 7

Unsteadiness 22 6

Nausea 19 10

Blurred Vision 16 5

Sleepiness 14 7

Rash 10 5

Vomiting 10 4

Plus, I take pills from a VA Shrink & other pills they prescribe but have no idea what they are as My Daughter orders them & puts them in Pill Box & my Wife dispenses them to me 3 times a day because I get her's & mine confused & sometimes take hers & if left to myself I sometimes will go a day or two before someone knows I missed taking them.

I have asked this before but have never went into such detail but can I get some opinions as to whether the BVA will approve me for Aid & Attendance & if U have much insight into this & at what rate do U believe it should be.

My Wife is also Disabled , & I put in for A & A for her also, because she caught Hep C from a Blood Transfusion & the symptoms are really getting severe not counting the other other damage it has done to her body.

Thank U for taking the time to read this & I welcome any information. But, must say the VA can get trying with their "Foot Dragging Tactics."

Again, Berta will always remember U.

Sincerly,

Gary Schneider gdsnide@hotmail.com

gdsnide

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary:

Almost any condition that does not go away can cause Depression. According to many the VA recognizes Depression as Secondary in many Service Connected Disabilities.

The fact that you are rated 100% should open the door to a secondary rating for depression if a Doc verifies it. As far as the date for service connection I am not sure. I believe that SMC pays an additional 295 a month.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Gary- and I always remember you too!

What a big mountain that was but you PREVAILED!

Gary- I dont understand-

Do you and also your wife have claims pending at the Regional Office for A & A?

I thought the prior BVA stuff was all squared away on your 100% award.

You certainly fit the HB criteria for SMC "S" in my opinion-and/or A & A-

but I dont understand why you expect this decision to come from the BVA-???

When did you make formal claim at the RO for these benefits for you and your wife?

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary,

First of all you'll need a clinical diagnosis for what ever you have and then you'll need a IMO from a doctor stating that YOUR (insert diagnosis here) is more than likely than not the result of your service-connected seizure disorder. It doesn't matter what generic neurology reports state, these are useless to the VA by itself. The doctor would need to reference these in his IMO as to why he came to such a conclusion. Keep in mind simple side effects from medication being taken due to a service-connected disability would not in and of itself warrant service-connection on a secondary basis. The side effects would have to be clinically diagnosed before VA could grant secondary service-connection.

Vike 17

Gary- and I always remember you too!

What a big mountain that was but you PREVAILED!

Gary- I dont understand-

Do you and also your wife have claims pending at the Regional Office for A & A?

I thought the prior BVA stuff was all squared away on your 100% award.

You certainly fit the HB criteria for SMC "S" in my opinion-and/or A & A-

but I dont understand why you expect this decision to come from the BVA-???

When did you make formal claim at the RO for these benefits for you and your wife?

Berta,

Yes, I did get 100% T & P for my claim on Epilepy dome years ago but have put in for SMC.

Not sure of exact date.

Filed with RO they denied I filed NOD & they denied so I sent it to the BVA.

With the information I have on "Uncontrolable Depression" & if I got my VA Shrink to write me a letter what's the chances of winning?

Thanks again

GARY

gdsnide