Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitus, Hearing Loss & Retro Pay

Rate this question

Electronic Tech

Question

Back in 1968 I filled a claim with the VA for Bi-lateral Tinnitus and hearing loss. The Tinnitus issue went mostly ignored, but after about two years I received a 0% rating for the hearing loss.

I just learned about a year ago that the VA now recognizes Tinnitus so I filed a claim.

Went to Reno yesterday for the hearing test and answered questions about the Tinnitus. I think that all went well. I was also told that I am qualified for hearing aids and was offered an appointment there to be fitted for them.

Is there any chance of getting Retro Pay back that far as it was part of my original claim?

(mos # 140.00) Field Artillery

(mos# 67M20) Helicopter mechanic

(mos# 621.00) fixed wing aircraft mechanic

Any idea how long before I hear from them. What should I expect?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Back in 1968 I filled a claim with the VA for Bi-lateral Tinnitus and hearing loss. The Tinnitus issue went mostly ignored, but after about two years I received a 0% rating for the hearing loss.

I just learned about a year ago that the VA now recognizes Tinnitus so I filed a claim.

Went to Reno yesterday for the hearing test and answered questions about the Tinnitus. I think that all went well. I was also told that I am qualified for hearing aids and was offered an appointment there to be fitted for them.

Is there any chance of getting Retro Pay back that far as it was part of my original claim?

(mos # 140.00) Field Artillery

(mos# 67M20) Helicopter mechanic

(mos# 621.00) fixed wing aircraft mechanic

Any idea how long before I hear from them. What should I expect?

Ok. can't say what they'll do about the retro but I believe U had to keep the claim open to get retro.

I filed for Tinnitus as my ears ring like hell & I was in Enginnering when I was in the Navy which I have read is as bad as working on the deck of an Air Craft Carrier.

Well, the Dick of a Doc put down he didn't think it was related to the Military

I'm 100% T & P so didn't pursue it just wanting to build up all the percentages I can unless they ever cut any.

Sam one guy that was over 500%

BUT, if U get rated again,even at 0%. don't forget to put in for the free Life Insurance.

They'll try to sell U more but I figured it was kind of high so didn't get it.

GARY

Elec tech- do you still have the decision from 1968 that says "0" % SC for the hearing?

If so what is the Diagnostic code they used?

Just a very slim chance they made a CUE_ clear and unmistakable error in the DC code -to your detriment-meaning their legal error of using the wrong DC- if it cost you compensable rating- means you can recover retro under a CUE claim.

There is significant info at hadit unser Search feature on CUE claims.

Bilateral tinnitus

this is the latest info I have on these regs:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Supreme+Cour...us.-a0163679396

Many vets appear to have filed CUE claims over this issue-

DAV Magazine May 1 2007:

"The U.S. Supreme Court decision not to review a federal appeals court ruling against separate ratings for service-connected bilateral tinnitus means that veterans suffering from the condition can only receive one 10 percent disability rating even though both ears are affected. "

Edited by Berta

In reviewing my records, I found a letter from the VA which states in part:

1. Your disabilities listed below, are service-connected, but they are less than 10% disabling and compensation is not payable.

"Defective Hearing."

There is a box in front the number one that has an "X" in it.

This letter is dated August 7, 1970

I find no medical code numbers. Perhaps they didn't use them then.