Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Injury

Rate this question

windy city

Question

I have a veteran friend that two years ago is VA doctor prescribed him a medication called Simvastatin to treat his high cholestarol. One day he recieaved a call from his doctor instructing him to discontinue taking the nmedication because his lab results indicated that the medication was affecting his muscles. Well he was already complainning about chronic pain all over is body and especially his knees making it immpossible to walk. Should he file a cliam for s/c or is there another type of claim he can place. Any help or advice for this veteran will be appreciated.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Make sure when your file for 1151 that you include all of his lab results from the time he started taking the drug to the time he was instructed to stop taking it. You can look the drug up on line and find out what the gold standard is for checking labs. Make sure the VA followed those standards and attach them to your 1151 claim. I mean if it says blood work should be done monthly or every six weeks, make sure the dates of the labs meet that standard and if they don't make reference to that in your 1151 claim.

He as already made copies from all time he refilled this prescription, he began taking it in 2004 until may of 2007. Plus he have a copy of the last lab work and after that is when the doctor called him to discontinue the medication. Is there a form that he needs to use in order to file a 1151 and how will he word this problem.

He as already made copies from all time he refilled this prescription, he began taking it in 2004 until may of 2007. Plus he have a copy of the last lab work and after that is when the doctor called him to discontinue the medication. Is there a form that he needs to use in order to file a 1151 and how will he word this problem.

It sounds like you are on your way collecting the evidence, but what I mean is that you need copies of all of his labs from 2004 to current. This will show the change in his labs. It will show what tests the doc was looking at and show the result becoming outside the normal range and that is why the doctor called and had him stop the med. The other point is that if the gold standard is to to do lab work every six weeks, but the VA was only checking it every 6 months, that will show the VA not following protocal and is a bigger issue.

Is there a form that he needs to use in order to file a 1151 and how will he word this problem"

No form: just state:

This is a claim under the auspices of Section 1151, 38 USC.

I believe my VA medical records will reveal that I was given medication (Zocor) that resulted in causing me additional disability (state the problems here).

My medical records will reveal that only until taking this VA prescribed medication, did I incur further documented disabling problems.

Put C file number, copy and sign- and send Priority with tracking slip.

1151s should be short and sweet-sometimes a vet can tell them too much which is as bad as not telling them enough-

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Is there a form that he needs to use in order to file a 1151 and how will he word this problem"

No form: just state:

This is a claim under the auspices of Section 1151, 38 USC.

I believe my VA medical records will reveal that I was given medication (Zocor) that resulted in causing me additional disability (state the problems here).

My medical records will reveal that only until taking this VA prescribed medication, did I incur further documented disabling problems.

Put C file number, copy and sign- and send Priority with tracking slip.

1151s should be short and sweet-sometimes a vet can tell them too much which is as bad as not telling them enough-

Berta,

Can he use just a blank pieace of paper or can he use va form 21-4138 statement in support of claim. Should he attached evry lab work done by the va since the day he began taking the medication in 2004 along with copies of all refills he did for this medication. If his va doctor called him to let him know about the problem is there a possibility that his doctor inputted this information in his medical records and if he did make a notation should he also include it with the rest of the paperwork. Thanks for all the information given in this topic to help this veteran.