Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Their A Rate For Amnesia?

Rate this question

Guest Jim S.

Question

While hospitalized in the Navy I had apparently gone to take a shower and either fainted or slipped and fell, receiving a fractured nasal bone, a cerebral concusion, and was apparently unconscious for a period of time.

upon regain my facalties back, I had apparently lost about three days worth of memory, having complete amnesia of what had transpired in that time.

It was told to me later that I had an acute psychotic episode and had lapsed into a cantatonic stupor, this was why I was in the hopital in the first place.

What I would like to know, is their a rating schedule that covers amnesia and how it is rated? I was hoping their might be something under head trauma, but I can't seem to find anything. Could be just me and my muddled brain, my attention and concentration seems to be a problem of late.

Jim S. ;)

Edited by Jim S.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Now if you have disassociative states in the present as a result of a head injury in the past that would be rateable. Terry is right. You have to have a present disability. If you were injured and completely healed and recovered with no residual disability then I don't think you have a claim. My father-in-law had a head injury in the Marines and had terrible problems all his life. Head injuries show up in many ways including behavior.

What do you mean by disassociative state in the present?

Do you mean I have periods of time I can not account for? If I answer yes, how do I prove it, if I am not aware of it happening. LoL Not very funny, but it sounds like a catch 22.

I have done things the previous day or so and I know I did them, but I cannot recollect any specifics about the event. One of the reason I lost one of my last jobs, was because I could remember working on some equiptment, but I could not relate to others what I had done to it a day or so later. I was told I even damaged an expensive circuite board, on a piece of equiptment and had no recolection of having worked on it or what I may have done to cause the damage. This was documented in a letter from my ex-employer to help support my unemployability with SSDI.

I must say that no one has done any tests or examinations to confirm or deny any residuals of the cerebral concusion, as to its presents, in this later date.

Jim S. ;)

Codes for dissociative issues -

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dissociative Disorders

------------------------------------------------------------------------

9416 Dissociative amnesia; dissociative fugue; dissociative identity disorder (multiple personality disorder)

9417 Depersonalization disorder

From title 38 under mental disorders.

Edited by Jay Johnson

• HadIt.com Elder

Jim

If you have significant periods of time you can't account for and you can tie this to your head injury somehow you probably have a case. Proving it might be tough unless you can show that you have an injury to your brain from trauma. If you have blackouts that would be significant I think.