VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vertigo Secondary To Tinnitus

Rate this question

vietvet

Question

Hello.

I was 0% SC for tinnitus and bi-lateral hearing loss in 1969.

In 2006 I was rated 10% for the tinnitus, and issued hearing aids.

Can vertigo be claimed as secondary to tinnitus and/or hearing loss? as I

recently had a C&P exam. As I was leaving the doc said "Everything should be OK now" and shook my hand.

Did that mean anything? Appreciate feedback.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Welcome,

I'm no doctor nor audiologist, but I do not see anyway that Tinnitus in and of itself could possibly

induce vertigo. When a person has a Hearing Loss,Tinnitus and Vertigo, and it is medically, completely

investigated, the docs will usually find one route cause of all 3 symptoms.

jmho,

carlie

My first claim had vertigo and tinitus listed as claims, when it was adjudicated it came back tinnitus with vertigo 10%. After two DRO reviews I got them seperated, I now get 10% for each and am appealing the 10% for vertigo, I have been diagnosed with

Vertigo possibly due to Labyrinthitis Dr.XXXX 3/17/94

Vertigo Dr. XXXX 8/7/98

Viral Labyrinthitis PA XXXXX 8/10/98

Intermittent Vertigo Dr.XXXX ENT Consult 9/29/98

Intermittent Vertigo 12/21/98 PA XXXX

Vertigo 2/18/03 Dr. XXXXX

Meniere’s Disease 7/25/03 Dr. XXXXX

Chronic Vertigo 8/5/2003 Dr XXXXXXX

Vestibular Meniere’s 8/7/03 Dr. XXXXXX ENT Consult

my appeal below

I disagree with a 10% rating and believe the evidence warrants a minimum of a 30% rating.

a.) Vertigo has never properly been assessed during a C&P Physical.

b.) I have been diagnosed with both Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and Meniere's disease by numerous Doctors including Neurologist and ENT Doctors. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and Meniere's disease are inner ear problems that result in severe, room-spinning vertigo. It’s unpredictable in onset, because it comes about with a change in head position. This is a distressing and debilitating disease, which is incurable.

c.) I do suffer from episodes, which cause me to loose my balance five to seven times a

month. Several times a year I suffer with a disabling episode where I am confined to either my bed or couch because I can’t walk, and have severe, room-spinning loss of

balance and cerebellar gait, numerous episodes of these attacks with cerebellar gait are documented in my SMR, including periods in excess of ten days.

Cerebellar gait is also documented in my VAMC record.

When this occurs I am required to be under constant influence of Valium. Vertigo impacts my ability to work. At times I am limited in activities such as getting out of bed; walking; traveling; moving around moving objects, bright or fluorescent lights, viewing a computer monitor. Because of this I am now afraid of heights. Treatment is required with Valium and bed rest. I have been treated by numerous military doctors while in the military and by Dr. XXXXXXXX since my discharge.

d.) In the COMPENSATION & PENSION EXAMINATION worksheet for Ear Disease http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm34.htm it states

“Describe history of hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo, balance or gait problems, discharge, pain, pruritus. State onset and frequency and duration of each, if not constant.

Describe current or past treatment for ear conditions.

If a malignant neoplasm of the ear is or was present:

State date of confirmed diagnosis.

State date of the last surgical, X-ray, antineoplastic chemotherapy, radiation, or other therapeutic procedure.

State expected date treatment regimen is to be completed.

If treatment is already completed, provide date of last treatment.

If treatment is already completed, fully describe residuals.

Physical Examination (Objective Findings):

Conduct an external and otoscopic examination. Address each of the following and describe current findings, including abnormalities of size, shape, or form:

Auricle. Any deformity? If there is tissue loss, state whether it is one-third or more of auricle.

External canal - describe any edema, scaling, discharge.

Tympanic membrane.

The tympanum.

Mastoids. Discharge? Evidence of cholesteatoma?

State all conditions secondary to ear disease, such as disturbance of balance, upper respiratory disease, hearing loss, etc.

State whether an active ear disease is present.

Infections of the middle or inner ear. Is there suppuration? Effusion? Are aural polyps present?

For peripheral vestibular disorders, state the specific diagnosis and its basis, whether there is dizziness and how often, and whether a staggering gait occurs and how often.

For Meniere’s syndrome, state the symptoms, including the frequency of attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait. Is tinnitus present? If so, how frequently and what is its duration? Is there hearing loss? (See audio worksheet.)

Describe any complications of ear disease that are present.”

e.) If a proper examination and review of my SMR had been conducted it would have been noted that I have been diagnosed with both Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and Meniere's disease by numerous Doctors including Neurologist and ENT Doctors, and DR XXXXXX would have been required to comply with the following “M21-1MR, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 3, Section A which states: “confirm the existence of and evaluate all disabilities listed on the examination request form, and any other disabilities the veteran identifies during the examination” and thus would be required to utilize a Compensation and Pension Exam Worksheet for Ear Disease which includes the following:

“For Meniere’s syndrome, state the symptoms, including the frequency of attacks of vertigo and cerebellar gait. Is tinnitus present? If so, how frequently and what is its duration? Is there hearing loss? (See audio worksheet.)”

“Describe history of hearing loss, tinnitus, vertigo, balance or gait problems, discharge, pain, pruritus. State onset and frequency and duration of each, if not constant.”

h.) I believe under the schedule for ratings my condition should be rated under 6205 Meniere's syndrome (endolymphatic hydrops). I also believe the documented occurrences in my SMR and in Dr. XXXXXXXX’s records support a 60% rating.

f.) Previous Diagnoses:

Vertigo possibly due to Labyrinthitis 3/17/94

Vertigo 8/7/98

Viral Labyrinthitis 8/10/98

Intermittent Vertigo ENT Consult 9/29/98

Intermittent Vertigo 12/21/98

Vertigo 2/18/03

Meniere’s Disease 7/25/03

Chronic Vertigo 8/5/2003

Vestibular Meniere’s 8/7/03 ENT Consult