Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Question About Sleep Apnea.....?

Rate this question

LarryJ

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Let me run this by y'all, and you tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Service Connected badly screwed-up left ankle. It's bad enough that I have a great amount of pain while attempting to walk. The VAMC has me in a orthosis (brace).

I just found out today that I suffer from Sleep Apnea. The main reason that I suffer from this Sleep Apnea is that I am overweight. I'm overweight due to the fact that I can barely stand, because of the pain in the leg/ankle, to walk or to bear weight on my left leg. So I don't get any exercise, thereby leading to my overweight situation.

Doc says that my Sleep Apnea is connected to my weight which is connected to my SC'd left leg/ankle.

What do y'all think? Think I should file a claim for the Sleep Apnea, or, for that matter, my extra 50 lbs. ?

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Doc says that my Sleep Apnea is connected to my weight which is connected to my SC'd left leg/ankle

Larry, have the doc write it up. If he is a VA doc, get a copy of the progress notes and fire away at the ro for sleep apnea secondary to the ankle. If you use a CPAP machine it is a 50 percent rating.

Docs opinion is key point here. Sounds good to me. vike 17 can add serious insight to this claim.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

When Sleep Apnea is aggravated by a service connected condition the "reasonable doubt" rule normally wins the claim in favor of the veteran.

Read the attached BVA decision where in there was nothing to prove it is and nothing to prove it isn't. The vet wins the claim.

Sleep_Apnea_BVA_Decision.doc