Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received My Award Letter Today

Rate this question

tdak

Question

Well today I received my award letter for TDIU in the mail and my retro in the bank. Eight days from the day it was date stamped approved to the day it arrived at my mailbox. It took 10 months all together for the TDIU and 2ndary conditions claim that were filed and finally, I was awarded TDIU, but they seemed to have forgotten or left out the rest of the claim we filed, like the rest of the secondary conditions. They don't even show them as being deferred or even mention them at all in the award letter. What do you make of that? They were all filed together. My rep is on vacation until next week, so I have to see what she says about it. They left my combined rating at 60% and gave me IU, which is great. I am not disappointed at all. I would like to have my other conditions added to my claim though, this way my schedular rating would be 100%. They didn't even mention them in the award letter. It just struck me as odd, because all of the secondary conditions listed were mentioned in my C&P by the VA doctor.

Any thought on why the VA wouldn't have mentioned the other secondary conditions mentioned in the claim?

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Tamara,

congratulations on your TDIU, it is nice to finally have the 100% payment. It is also important to have the correct rating, as we are finding out. There may come a time when you will need home care or aid and the percentage may make a difference in future awards.

Jangrin

Jangrin,

Thank you and absolutely yes. It is long term that I am concerned about. I have no idea how long I will be able to take care of myself. Once I had the brain surgery and they put the titanium plate in (this was to replace the part of the skull they removed) and removed my vertabrea (1st one and partial 2nd in neck) I was told I could no longer do certian activities. Things that jerk my head around, things of that nature or else my neck could be instantly snapped out of place because I no longer have the stability. Even a minor car accident could put me in permanently in a wheel chair (or worse), which was the main reason for the surgery in the first place.

Have a great day,

Tamara

Tamara:

Congrats and do what JBasser recommends. When you get retro is a good time to remember TBird who has invested a lot of money time and effort to make this a place that is safe and helps Veterans deal with the VA.

I am very hopeful that this will help your SSD claim.

Pete

Pete,

Thanks and I will on all accounts. HadIt.com has definately been the best site for the dealing with the VA and for support for us Vets.

Thanks again,

Tamara

Tamara, make a copy of the award and send it to the SSA. They may reverse their decision and grant SSD. If you have an attorney, have them forward it along with a request to grant benefits due based on the VA decision.

jbasser,

I do not have an attorney as of yet, and my SSD decision is only allowing me to appeal the decision not reconsider first. So I am guessing I should just get an attorney to handle this. I could probably do this myself, but I don't want to get turned down again from the SSA.

Tamara