Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Evaluation

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Since I have never received a mental evaluation before can anyone please explain what this thing means? I did not request it they just did it during my last visit to Birmingham. This is what it states:

Vet suffers from nightime panic attacks that onset in 2005/ At that time vet learned that his grandaughter was being molested by stepfather (his daughter divorced that man an moved back in with vet and his wife.) seh is still living there with her three children. vet suffered a stroke at that time (service connected) and was anxious acout his own health. Denied Agoraphobia. Attacks occur about 4x/month and are moderate in intensity.

MEMORY; Vet periodically loses things or forgets appointments, but memory is generally intact.

AXIS I: Mood disorder related to a general medical condition; Anxiety disorder. NOS IF ANY ADDITIONAL MENTAL DISORDERS HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED, EXPLANATION OF HOW THE SYMPTOMS ARE RELATED TO OR ARE PART OF EACH MENTAL DISORDER: Mood disorder: periodic depressed mood; feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness; Anxiety disorder: nightime panic attacks; anxiety possibly contributes to vet's IBS sxs; The two disorders are inter-related and likely affect each other.

AXIS II: NONE

AXIS III: HTN, DMII, NEUROPATHIC PAIN, CVA, SLEEP APNEA, GERD, HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIA, DEJERINE-ROUSSY SYNDROME LEFT SIDE;

AXIS IV: CHRONIC PAIN

AXIS V: GLOBAL ASSESSMENT OF FUNCTIONING: SCORE 62 - CURRENT FUNCTIONING

Is there is occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks due to mental disorder signs and symptoms, but with generally satisfactory functioning (routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal)--YES

EXAMPLES AND PERTINENT SYMPTOMS - INSOMIA AND NIGHTTIME PANIC ATTACKS LEAT TO CONSTANT DAYTIME FATIGUE.

WAS A MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED--NO

Any help with this would be appreciated. I assume it was conducted to determine my claim for sleep apnea but as you can see sleep apnea was only mentioned one time and then the last statement of WAS A MEDICAL OPINION REQUESTED - NO. If this is true why in the heck did they do the exam. Based upon the outcome of the exam should I file a claim for a mental disorder. I work so I do not know if this would be possible.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks John I was begining to think no one loved me any more (no responses) hahahahahahaha. The general medical disorder is my SC CVA and Dejerine-Roussy Syndrome (Thalamic Pain Syndrome/chronic pain)

My saga continues - I had a claim pending for IBS presumptive to service in GW1. They used the physc report to trash it. The rating decision states that the doc provided that the IBS was due to the mental condition therefore, presumption due to service in the Gulf is not warranted. Hmmmm... now wait a minute. The IBS came along in 2003. The stroke and pain syndrome happened in 2005 so how could the mental condition which is because of the stroke be the cause of the IBS? The mental eval was for sleep problems and not IBS.

This is what the doc said about the IBS under Axis I - Anxiety disorder: nighttime panic attacks; anxiety POSSIBLY contributes to veterans sypmtoms.

Now they sure as heck were quick to jump on the word POSSIBLY when it was coming from their side. Sure wish they would do the same when your private doc says something was POSSIBLY because of your service.

Now she had discussed my IBS, from a history standpoint, earlier in the report and listed the symptomps as begining in 2003. I am sure that what she was saying in her statement is exactly what she said POSSIBLY CONTRIBUTES TO. She did not say caused as she knew from my medical records and the history that I gave her that the IBS began in 2003.

My PCP is a pretty good chap with a good since of humor. I think I will ask him to write me a statement which provides "Mr. H's service POSSIBLY CONTRIBUTES TO all of his current and future medical problems. Hey after all they set the rules in their decision letter. hahahahaha

Any comments which could be use in my NOD would be appreciated.

Edited by Ricky