Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unemployability With Less Than 50%

Rate this question

3 years to retire

Question

Just to update, I applied thru the dav for TDIU in August. I am 40% with the VA (left knee is 30% rt knee is 10%) I also work for the USPS and am a letter carrier. I am approved under owcp with the right knee and cannot perform duties as a letter carrier. I am currently working under a limited duty job offer. Even under limited duty my knees hurt like hell. Can hardly walk at the end of the day. There are no desk jobs for letter carriers in the USPS and to be honest they want to dump me anyway since I no longer can carry mail and am not productive. I am almost 55 years old with 28 years in civil service retirement in Nov of this year. Under the OPM guidelines I can apply and should get an approval for disability retirement but cannot afford it without the va TDIU (I have a family.) I just hand carried all of my owcp doctor documentation yesterday (sept 8th) on my left knee and gave it to the dav personnel in the va hospital to help my claim. So now I wait for the Va. Any suggestions...or comments .... feel free. I will update as I hear from the va. Thanks....

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I went to the Va for my C&P last Sat. (Oct 22) for my two knees. I guess I will now wait till I hear what they have to say. The Doc. really put me thru it. My two knees are still hurting. I am not sure how it will come out. I am hoping that they upgrade my left knee to 40% so I can take the next step for unemployability. If they grant it then I feel that my next step would be easier. Anyway, either way it goes I plan on still applying for it in the next two years. Will update as information comes in.

hey 3

i just retired thru disability with USPS in AUg. I am 50 percent in knees and ankles..trying to get that upped and some stuff added..My DAV rep is supposed to be helping.

Curious what all your doctor put you thru at the c and p? I can't squat or twist...will they make you do what your doctor tells you not to? What all did he put you thru? and if you don't mind what is your 30 on...loss of ROM? that is all they rate me with is ROM..not pain or anything else. My right knee locks and buckles and dislocates and they dropped it from 20 compensatible to 10 noncompensatible 3 years ago...but I don't go to the VA center..they send me to a local dr who really could care less, he rushes thru...ie straighten your knee as much as possible, looks, and ok, now do this...and so on..One of the guys who went to him prior to me said you could just about tell him what you wanted in a manner of speaking. tho he does look at things.

t

ps on the IU, I was told you could not be working at all..t

Edited by tec

hey 3

i just retired thru disability with USPS in AUg. I am 50 percent in knees and ankles..trying to get that upped and some stuff added..My DAV rep is supposed to be helping.

Curious what all your doctor put you thru at the c and p? I can't squat or twist...will they make you do what your doctor tells you not to? What all did he put you thru? and if you don't mind what is your 30 on...loss of ROM? that is all they rate me with is ROM..not pain or anything else. My right knee locks and buckles and dislocates and they dropped it from 20 compensatible to 10 noncompensatible 3 years ago...but I don't go to the VA center..they send me to a local dr who really could care less, he rushes thru...ie straighten your knee as much as possible, looks, and ok, now do this...and so on..One of the guys who went to him prior to me said you could just about tell him what you wanted in a manner of speaking. tho he does look at things.

t

ps on the IU, I was told you could not be working at all..t

TEC The doc twisted and bent both knees. He also forced them in positions to see their flexability. It hurt like hell and was sore for a long time. I have trouble standing for long periods and must sit down. I have problems with lifting and walking. No support with movement from side to side. Hope this helps.