Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success (to Some Degree)

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

I called the VA toll-free number today and learned that I had been rated at 40-percent disabled. I've yet to learn to breakout since I had multiple disabilities involved and I suspect I had a total of 50-percent that was decreased by the VA method of combining rating percentages. I thought I would provide the timelines for my claims(s) at the Denver Regional Office:

1. 30 Aug 06: Filed claim electronically via the Internet

2. Sep 06 - Jan 07: Did not file any papers whatsoever

3. 22 Feb 07: Asked the DAV to assist me in filing forms, etc.

4. Mar 06 - Jun 07: Gathered medical evidence & responded to VA's requests for additional information

5. ~30 Jul 07: C-File forwarded to rating board

6. 13 Aug 07: Rating revealed telephonically

Basically, I caused a six-month delay--the VA completed their work upon receipt of my evidence and within six months after I got off my butt. I'm pleased with the service I received at the Denver Regional Office (although I won't net any cash since

I am an Army retiree with 23 years service--I won't claim Combat Related since my time in Viet Nam was spent indoors--finance & accounting).

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit and you pointed out that it is necessary to respond to VA requests even if it is to tell them to rate with the info they already have or the claim just sits gathering dust.

If you are not happy with your rating you should appeal as the VA lowballs almost everyone on the first go around.

Not so fast there Smaj on not getting anything else. You still will receive CRDP and depending what your claim was about you may be eligible for CRSC. If you were in a combat zone is the key here. Did you ever come under a rocket attack or ground attack?

Do get the full service of this site you may want to add what you were rated on and the dates you were in RVN and any campaign stars.

JerryO

I called the VA toll-free number today and learned that I had been rated at 40-percent disabled. I've yet to learn to breakout since I had multiple disabilities involved and I suspect I had a total of 50-percent that was decreased by the VA method of combining rating percentages. I thought I would provide the timelines for my claims(s) at the Denver Regional Office:

1. 30 Aug 06: Filed claim electronically via the Internet

2. Sep 06 - Jan 07: Did not file any papers whatsoever

3. 22 Feb 07: Asked the DAV to assist me in filing forms, etc.

4. Mar 06 - Jun 07: Gathered medical evidence & responded to VA's requests for additional information

5. ~30 Jul 07: C-File forwarded to rating board

6. 13 Aug 07: Rating revealed telephonically

Basically, I caused a six-month delay--the VA completed their work upon receipt of my evidence and within six months after I got off my butt. I'm pleased with the service I received at the Denver Regional Office (although I won't net any cash since

I am an Army retiree with 23 years service--I won't claim Combat Related since my time in Viet Nam was spent indoors--finance & accounting).

Thanks to all for your important comments. After my initial post I called the VA again to see if I could get a breakout of the percentages per disability. I was advised that the first VA representative shouldn't have provided the overall percentage since the DAV had not signed off on it and it had not been "officially approved." Anyway, I am happy to have received advance notice.

I appreciate the advise that was appended to my post--as I mentioned in another post, I wish I had found this site when I first started; your expertise is invaluable...

Be advised that the DAV doesn't "sign off" on anything, as they have zero authority within the VA...that was probably just a courtesy call to the DAV (or the DAV calling the VA) to let them know what your results were since I assume they are your VSO.

And of course, you are not officially awarded anything, regardless of anything verbal you hear, until you get official notice from the VA via snail-mail.

Good luck,

-- John D.