Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Happens If You're Sc For A Disease & A Cure Is Found For It?

Rate this question

blessed1

Question

Hello All;

If you're SC for Diabetes with many Secondary Service Connected Diseases and a cure is found for Diabetes, what happens then? Will you loose your SC for Diabetes and all SC Diseases?

It has been reported that the University of Central Florida has found a cure for Diabetes and within the next four years, a pill will be available to cure Diabetes. Of all things, it is made from Lettuce and when you take the pill for four months, including insulin dependant diabetics, you will be cured of Diabetes.

Thanks for all your comments and info.

Keep the Faith!

We know for those who bear the scars of war, the battle never ends.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Miracles can happen. However, if a Veteran has been disabled and is miraculously cured and has not been able to work for say 15 years they probably are dependent on the check. Lets face it someone who has not worked in 15 years would not be suddenly employable and if they could work they would have to take a lower tier job.

Although I am not service connected for diabetes I have it and plan to do lap band surgery. In my opinion it is the only way I can lose weight and probably reduce or maybe cure my diabetes. I suspect it will also help depression cause most feel better when something good happens.

However, from the original question I would guess that the VA would reduce the rating of someone who had severe diabetes to a lower or 0% if it was cured.

If you have had diabetes for a few years and it was cured I doubt that the side effects suffered would go away and I guess that they would still have to be rated.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

You would probably have to be "cured" for a certain amount of time before they can determine you are "cured."

With cancer - the VA rates you 100% until a certain amount of time has passed AFTER whatever was supposed to have cured you.

Then they rate on residuals.

So if someone took something for diabetes that was really supposed to actually cure them - the VA should wait a certain amount of time AFTER that - to make sure the cure at least appears to be effective - and then would rate the person on residuals -- all the side issues that came from the diabetes. (i.e. even if the diabetes itself was actually cured - you would still be rated for the toll it had taken on your body - at the level of disability for THAT.)

And when you get right down to it - with MANY diseases - the biggest part of the disability stems from the other havoc the disease causes in your body.

Free

Think Outside the Box!

You would probably have to be "cured" for a certain amount of time before they can determine you are "cured."

With cancer - the VA rates you 100% until a certain amount of time has passed AFTER whatever was supposed to have cured you.

Then they rate on residuals.

So if someone took something for diabetes that was really supposed to actually cure them - the VA should wait a certain amount of time AFTER that - to make sure the cure at least appears to be effective - and then would rate the person on residuals -- all the side issues that came from the diabetes. (i.e. even if the diabetes itself was actually cured - you would still be rated for the toll it had taken on your body - at the level of disability for THAT.)

And when you get right down to it - with MANY diseases - the biggest part of the disability stems from the other havoc the disease causes in your body.

Free

Thanks everyone for all your comments and info. I greatly appreciate it, it just made my day! Anyway to all my Brothers & Sisters out there, please have a safe Labor Day and "lettuce" all count our Blessings!

• In Memoriam

At Rio Hondo Hospital in Downey, Ca., there is an (diabetic) aputation ward (building). I wonder if this pill will grow new legs for these Veteran Amputees.

Many are blind, have kidney problems, and much much more. There is no cure for these secondary diabetic conditions.

You sure got us, didn't you blessed1.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity