VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Divalproex Depakote

Rate this topic

At my latest shrink seesion this last week my shrink decided that my major depression wasn'tgetting any better & that she was "worried" about the severity of my symptoms so she put me on the concoction in the topic title to try to "improve" my mood. From what I can gather from research on the web, this stuff is used to treat migranes, seizures and bipolar disorder. as I am fortunate enough not to suffer from migraines or seizures, I can only conclude that she thinks I'm bipolar.

Maybe if they did something about my chronic back & joint pain, my mood might lift somewhat. :rolleyes: Then what do I know? I'm just a vet.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Liz,

I don't want to be Dr. Josephine this time, but it sure is good to hear from you.

I do think about you a lot.

My daughter is Bipolar and she does have terrible mood swings and bouts with depression.

I agree with you, if they would do something about the pain, your depression would not be so severe.

Liz, why don't they give you enough pain medication? Have you ask and been denied.

This is only from my own experiences, medication can take a couple of weeks before you notice it and lets hope the sun will shine for you just a little more.

Just my thoughts for the day and God Bless,

Josephine

With that said, psychology is a lot like voodoo medicine in that any diagnosis is merely an observation......I mean, what is bipolar really? It's not like they can take an MRI and point to an area in the brain that looks like bipolar disorder.

I think in 50 years, or so, we'll look back on all these different "disorders" and laugh about how wrong they actually are. I think a good psych knows this and knows exactly how limited these official labels really are, so they will resort to any type of medication that causes the patient to improve.

So, I wouldn't worry so much with any official label and just see how the meds work....it's better that your psych is willing to think outside of the box than limit meds based on some limited knowledge of an alleged "disorder". Just be honest with the effects and make sure you get routine bloodwork done because depakote can be toxic at certain levels and remains in your system for a long time.

Dear Doctor Josephine :D

For me, going to primary care at VA reminds me of going to military sick call. Back then it was either all in my head or I was trying to get out of work. Now it is either all in my head or I'm trying to milk the system for a rate increase. Plus VA has it in their head that I have a substance abuse problem. The only solution VA has ever offered me for pain is a TENS unit and that was years ago. Otherwise going to primary care is just like so many other instances I've read thru posts from other vets on this forum

Besides, don't you realize all us women are complainers? :rolleyes:

Liz

• HadIt.com Elder

Dearest Liz,

You got it, us females are all whimpy, weak, and constant complainers.

We don't have enough sense to get out behind in out of the rain.

I sure as heck would demand some pain medication.

I don't think that new med for depression is going to help you with that one.

Women in my opinion are all sterotyped. Right?

Bet you were in service also, just like me.

Always and good to hear from you,

Josephine