VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hyperuricemia, Gout

Rate this question

shann

Question

I have hyperuricemia and gout. I had high uric acid level on march of 1990 while in the service. My shoulder consistently bothered me but they could not find or figure out why. After getting out in january of 1993, I went to the VA at FT Lyons Colorado and they diagnosed me with gout and hyperuricemia. I have had gout attacks and high uric acid levels throughout the years. Last year I did not go to the doctors even though I had two to three attacks cause at one point the VA put me on allupurinol and that made things worse. I had a gouty tophi removed from my knee in the summer of 2004. I have been to the drs twice this year for attacks. I filed a claim in March. I was in during the Gulf War. I did not go to the middle east. We loaded and unloaded the bombs from Spangdahlem in Germany. I worked in line delivery from the bomb dump. Ammo troop.

I also have a DRO appeal going for my heart, left shoulder, tinnitus. I had a low heart rate while in service and left shoulder problems. I now have hypothyroidism, sinus bradycardia, but the thyroid medicine has helped bring my heart rate up above 60. My left shoulder still hurts a lot. While active duty they could not figure out what was wrong with me. In their records they have my low heart rate written down. I have had continous problems since I have been out. I am diagnose with apical hypertrophy and mitral valve regurgitation.

O percent service connection so far

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

"apical hypertrophy and mitral valve regurgitation" this in my opinion is supported by what you said were in your SMRs.Also the sinus bradycardia - the other conditions as well as these conditions will need a strong medical link to your service.The high uric levels in service might well be enough to establish hyperuricemia and gout as service connected if this is well documented and the VA understands the medical connection.The left shoulder could be due to your MOS straining your shoulder and the tinnitus could be due to any inservice exposure to loud noise.You will need a strong medical link between each of these conditions.Have you filed a formal claim yet?If so the VCAA letter will tell you exactly what medical evidence you will need.You should obtain your SMRs and all medical records and this will help shape this claim to the VA so they can understand how these conditions are related to your service.It would benefit you to consider obtaining an independent medical opinion to help associate these disabilities to your service records for the nexus in each case to be established.

Edited by Berta

"apical hypertrophy and mitral valve regurgitation" this in my opinion is supported by what you said were in your SMRs.Also the sinus bradycardia - the other conditions as well as these conditions will need a strong medical link to your service.The high uric levels in service might well be enough to establish hyperuricemia and gout as service connected if this is well documented and the VA understands the medical connection.The left shoulder could be due to your MOS straining your shoulder and the tinnitus could be due to any inservice exposure to loud noise.You will need a strong medical link between each of these conditions.Have you filed a formal claim yet?If so the VCAA letter will tell you exactly what medical evidence you will need.You should obtain your SMRs and all medical records and this will help shape this claim to the VA so they can understand how these conditions are related to your service.It would benefit you to consider obtaining an independent medical opinion to help associate these disabilities to your service records for the nexus in each case to be established.

I am not quite sure how to get an IMO. I have kind of moved around the country and not been seen by the same Dr. very much. I had jobs working on the road. The VA has all of my heart treatment records and copies of everything else. I am in the middle of a gout attack and went to the doctor on friday. If it still is red and irritated on monday I will go to the VA just so they can have it on record. I didnt go last year when it was hurting because I was fed up with them. I just sucked it up and took herbs to treat it when it acted up

shannon

I would ask the doctor who most recently treated you for an IMO.

There also are many doctors on the internet who prepare IMOs. This can be very costly but often the sole way a veteran can succeed in getting service connection.

Under the search feature is a topic called Getting an IMO- it shows the criteria an IMO must conform to in order for VA to accept and consider it.

Also in the VCAA letter vVARO sent to you on these issues it will state exactly what evidence the VA needs to show-this VCAA letter, and all your medical records, and any denial from VA with the reasons and bases for denial will help any IMO doctor fully assess all of your disabilities and support a medical nexus to your service.

The gout claim is a new claim I have just started in March of 2007. I have had one attack about a month ago. I am going through another right now. These are the ones I have seen a doctor for. I have had more. I had been taken herbs and MSM to control some of my attacks but stopped since I am trying to get service connected. I had a couple attacks at least last year but did not go to the doctor. For the last few years have had at least two attacks or more.

The heart, shoulder and tinnitus is in a DRO appeal. I have service medical records showing shoulder pain while in service radiatig to trapezoid and myofacial pain. I also have documented in my SMRS low heart rates on occasions. Most of those occasions were when I was complaining of my sholder problems. I now have apical hypertrophy and mitral valve regurgitation. I also had sinus bradycardia but my heart rate has improved since I have been taking my medicane for hypothyroidism.

Shannon C. Thompson