Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

For Kent

Rate this question

carlie

Question

Kent,

You posted, " The military discovered the MH problem while on active duty and after a brief hospitalization and a diagnosis of depression and a personality disorder, she was allowed to complete her enlistment. "

A Personality Disorder will only be service connected if it is the result of something like a documented head injury and the Personality Disorder has been superimposed.

I feel VA will say her depression is a result of her Personality Disorder.

I do not see this claim ever getting granted as service connected, but certainly do wish you

luck.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The main thing is that the vet has to establish that the personality disorder is not developmental. If the VA or Army can say the person suffers from a constitutional PD then unless he also suffers from a defined mental disorder due to service he is not going to get compensation. My father-in-law got brain damaged in the service and started doing criminal things but it was due to the brain damage and not a sociopathic personality disorder he brought with him into the Marine Core.

When the Army or VA start talking personality disorder they mean no compensation that is why I recoil from that diagnosis.

The main thing is that the vet has to establish that the personality disorder is not developmental. If the VA or Army can say the person suffers from a constitutional PD then unless he also suffers from a defined mental disorder due to service he is not going to get compensation. My father-in-law got brain damaged in the service and started doing criminal things but it was due to the brain damage and not a sociopathic personality disorder he brought with him into the Marine Core.

When the Army or VA start talking personality disorder they mean no compensation that is why I recoil from that diagnosis.

If a person has another condition, such as a stomach disorder like IBS, couldn't depression be just as likely the result of this condition rather than related to the PD? Depression can be the result of many things such as being unemployable because of the chronic effects of the stomach along with the side-effects of the medication. Could this argument be used to refute a negative decision based on a PD?

• HadIt.com Elder

If your medications are for service connected condition I think you could base a depression claim on that. If you take opioids or a drug like valium then I think you could have a claim. Just being in constant pain can cause depression. What you need is a doctor to say your depression is due to a service connected condition. I have chronic pain disorder and take opioids and it depresses me and ruins my sleep.