Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Understanding Dd214

Rate this question

Speaking Out

Question

Okay, I have searched on the site, but I am confused. Allot of the post say look at box 26 and see what code is there. I have no box 26 on my DD214. It goes from box 24 to box 28. I have been under the impression that I was medically seperated from the USAF. Box number 23. Type of Seperation it is listed as Retirement, box 24 Character of Service is Honorable. There are no boxes 25, 26, or 27. Box 28 Narrative reason for seperation it says Disability, Temporary. Can anyone tell me what this actually means?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

I just looked at my DD214 from 1997 and my dad's dd214 from 1974. They are different, which leads me to believe the have been several different versions. The code you are looking for usually crresponds to the narrative reason for seperation.

In your case, it sounds to me like you may be TDRL(Temporary Disabled Retired List).

If I am on the TDRL shouldn't I have had to go back in for a re-evaluation at some point and don't you get paid while you are on the TDRL list? I am sure it would be offset by any VA disability pay. I think I am going to have to file DD form 180 Request Pertaining to Military Records. I did find another copy of my DD214 in my C-file and it has in box 25 separation authority AFI 36-3203, box 26 the seperation code SFK, in box 27 it has 2Q. What do you think?

If you have a disability that is rated by the military disability evaluation system at 20% or lower, you can be discharged (most likely with severance pay, unless the condition existed prior to service and was not permanently aggravated by service or misconduct is involved). Those who are separated for disability may be eligible for monthly disability compensation from the Veterans Administration (VA).

If the condition is rated at or above 30%, and other conditions are met, you will be disability retired..

Your disability retirement may be temporary or permanent. If temporary, your status should be resolved within a five-year period.

The amount of your disability retired pay is determined by one of three methods:

1. The first method is to multiply your by your base pay or average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement by the percentage of disability which has been assigned. However, the minimum percentage for temporary disability retirees will equal 50%. The maximum percentage for any type of retirement is 75%.
  2. The second method is to multiply only your years of active service at the time of your retirement by 2.5% by your base pay or average of highest 36 months of active duty pay at the time of retirement.
  3. The third method applies to you if you were eligible to retire/transfer under any other law. DFAS will compute your entitlements using both methods above, and use the one which results in the greatest amount of retired pay. If you desire that another method be used, you may request (in writing) that the other method be used.
The difference between temporary and permanent disability is the stability of the medical condition. If you're condition is not deemed "stable" by the PEB, they will recommend you be placed on the TDRL (temporary disability retirement list). When on the TDRL, you are subject to reevaluation every 18 months and limited to 5 years max on the TDRL. At the 5 year point, if not sooner during a re-eval, you are removed from the TDRL and either found fit; permanently retired; or discharged with severance pay.

If, on 24 Sep 1975, you were either a member of an Armed Force or was under a binding written commitment to become a member, and are discharged/retired by reason of disability by the MILITARY disability evaluation system (not VA), your retirement pay may not be taxed. Otherwise, for a tax free retirement, you'd have to have a combat related disability. If you go through the VA disability evaluation system and they grant you disability compensation, that will not be taxed, regardless of whether or not you were in the service on 24 Sep 75.

Does that mean anything? Do I need to follow up and have my records corrected because I certainly couldn't still be on the TDRL lis for 11 years right? I knew when I was put on the TDRL after the assault that the MEB could send me back to active duty, retire me, medically seperate me, or keep me on TDRL for re-evaluation at a later date. Shouldn't my DD214 show what action was taken? It shows retirement. There is a big difference in being retired, medically seperated, or still on the TDRL list.

Re: "When on the TDRL, you are subject to reevaluation every 18 months and limited to 5 years max on the TDRL. At the 5 year point, if not sooner during a re-eval, you are removed from the TDRL and either found fit; permanently retired; or discharged with severance pay."

Were you evaulated every 18 months and eventually advised of their final decision (NTE 5 years after being placed on the TDRL)?