Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied

Rate this question

goofycow

Question

Well, after 14 months, I finally get word back from VA. They denied my request for DIC because they claim my husband's death was not related to his service connected disability. However, they also have deferred a final decision about exposure to AO awaiting a final outcome on the Haas case.

they did acknowedge the 40% disabilty rating he got in 1978 for reiters sydrome and that he was properly rated at that time.

So what are my options here? Can I ask for an increase in rating? I know he had issues with high blood pressure very early in his carrer. Of course I wasn't married to him at the time. The navy almost didn't let him reenlist for the 1st time because his blood pressure was too high. He was in Fitron 31 at the time and this was September, 1964. Meanwhile hubby, in his excitement of getting a re-up bonus, goes out and buys a brand-new shinny red covair. Somehow the car dealership or bank gets wind of the fact that Ron might not be able to re-enlist so they try to get their car back.

Meanwhile the dispensory keeps taking his blood pressure until it is at an acceptable level. His re-up physical shows no evidence that anything is wrong. Now I don't know if Ron was telling me the truth or he was just telling me a "sea story". If this is true, how can I prove it? would it be worth proving it?

Thanks for listening.

Liz

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Berta is the expert in this area. I would assume that an IMO is needed. Did he have a claim pending for cancer secondary to AO exposure? If so it should work out when the Hass ruling comes through.

Like I said Berta will set you straight. I just hope she is around to help my old grandma when I bite the bullet. I have an instruction sheet for her which list contacts for all my insurance, how to file for payment on them, how to get the IRA's taken care of, how and when to file for SS. I also have a DIC claim typed. All she has to do is insert the cause of death, date it and contact Berta!!!!!

If he was incountry vet with presumptive disability- Haas should not hold up his claim.

But the VA said :

"They denied my request for DIC because they claim my husband's death was not related to his service connected disability."

The VCAA letter they sent to you should have told you exactly what evidence they needed from you.

Such as you should obtain an IMO.

The only way many widows succeed in DIC clams is to get an IMO from a real doctor who can refer to the veteran's med recs and association the conditions at death to the veteran's military service.

I recently read a remand at the BVA where the VCAA letter was deficient and lacking in telling the widow exactly what she needed to get.

The widow claimed the veteran's PTSD contributed to his death from heart disease.

The BVA specifically told the RO in the remand to advise the widow to obtain an Independent Medical Opinion.