VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Aids Without Disability Or Service Connected?

Rate this question

Ricky C. Swanson

Question

Question.

A few years back I filed a claim for hearing loss which was denied. They needed more info. My hearing was terribly bad and my medical records show my hearing got a lot worse from when I went in to when I was discharged - tests done by the VA. I did flightline work.

So I was going to refile my claim. All I have ever wanted was hearing aids and nothing more. So I went to a private DR, licensed in my state, who wrote a most wonderful letter that stated in no uncertain terms that my hearing loss was caused my my military work and the VA should give me hearing aids. I thought he was just going to give the letter to me as I told him I wanted it for the VA to refile a hearing loss claim. But he also sent the letter to my VA clinic and to my main DR. at the VA clinic. Thelocal VA clinic called me and said they couldn't do anything as I wasn't service connected. But they must have forwarded the letter or at least a recommendation the the main VA medical center audiology dept. about 75 miles away. I didn't know this until the VA medical center called me and told me they had an audiology cancellation and if I could come in first thing in the morning. This was last Wednesday. I did. The VA audiologist and I started talking about disability and she said this was nothing to do with disability and was a referral. I showed her the letter from the private doctor, we discussed what I did in the military and occupation since. She tested my hearing said it was shot and said the VA would give me hearing aids and fitted me for them. Said I should have them in about a month!!!! I was so happy. I guess I just didn't realize I could get these without some power to be rating me as service connected - unless she could do that - does anybody know- as she was a VA dr. She might have even called somebody as after my test and before fitting me for hearing aids she was out of the room for quite awhile. She assured me I would get them at a cost of what I guess will only be my copay, if that. She also stressed that I should file for the disability as now I am a lower priority and could be wait-listed for future appointments. But if I got the disablility it would give me a higher priority. So I will file for it again.

I guess my question is that I was surprised I can get hearing aids without being service connected - does anybody know if she can give me that rating like she did. I mean she had no doubts I would get them and she even said the batteries. This was last week and if I do indeed get them it will be the biggest Veteran's Day present one could ever ask for.

I guess I will wait and see but certainly am extremely optimistic.

Ricky

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You did a good job to get your hrsring aides. Usuallly you have to be at least 10 percent to get them free.

Take the letter from the Doctor about your hearing loss and immediatly file to reopen the claim. Dont file a new claim. That evidence and the hearing aide should be considered new and material.

Find your denial letter and let me know what is says. They may not have had your records and made a decision based on that, If so there are rules in place now that protects a Veteran if a decision is made without service medical records.

JBasser

Edited by jbasser

I was denied about 2 years ago so I guess I will have to open a new disability claim. Most was my fault as I really didn't put any effort into my initial claim. I figured the facts were pretty clear. I worked loading c-5s and c-141s at probably the busiest airport at the time, 71-72. My hearing test when I went in were all 0s and 5s and when I got out my hearing test was all 15 - 40. Doesn't that say enough? Also wee were never issued hearing protection. And my job - dangerous cargo - required me to meet the plane as it taxied in and stay until it taxied out. I worked in a freight terminal right next to the passenger terminal.

But regardless I was just surprised the VA doctor said yes, you have sevve hearing loss, and yes it was from the military and yes we will give you hearing aids.

What a blessing.

But I will submit another disability claim. She gave me the address and the procedure to do it.

• HadIt.com Elder

WHoa Ricky,Good Veterans Day to you! I agree with JBASSER, you need advice before submitting your claim again to make sure your paperwork is together. By the way, What was the procedure you were given to submit your paperwork with? Best to try to get it right and quickly so if your hearing aid care is moving fast. cg p.s. were you considered for Tinnitus also? just curious

I was denied about 2 years ago so I guess I will have to open a new disability claim. Most was my fault as I really didn't put any effort into my initial claim. I figured the facts were pretty clear. I worked loading c-5s and c-141s at probably the busiest airport at the time, 71-72. My hearing test when I went in were all 0s and 5s and when I got out my hearing test was all 15 - 40. Doesn't that say enough? Also wee were never issued hearing protection. And my job - dangerous cargo - required me to meet the plane as it taxied in and stay until it taxied out. I worked in a freight terminal right next to the passenger terminal.

But regardless I was just surprised the VA doctor said yes, you have sevve hearing loss, and yes it was from the military and yes we will give you hearing aids.

What a blessing.

But I will submit another disability claim. She gave me the address and the procedure to do it.

Guest rickb054

Ricky,

I think you were lucky. It is my understanding that you must be service connected for hearing loss at 0% or have a total rating of at least 50% before a veteran qualifies for hearing aids.

Recently when I requested my new primary care doctor at VA San Antonio to refer me for my hearing problems, the audio department indicated in my records that a veteran had to be 10% SC for a hearing loss before being treated with a hearing problem. I went to the PT represenative and questioned this since I am already sc at 0% for hearing loss, and since the Temple VA issued me hearing aids 3 years ago. Well I proved that I was sc for the problem, and now I am waiting for my second appointment which is to adjust my hearing aids because my hearing in fact is worse. But as I understand it San Antonio is turning away all veterans that are not rated for hearing loss this is what the PT represenative told me.

I am going to look for a reference for this since this also came up on another board. I am confident that I am correct, but I have been wrong before.

Now I will state that when my aids were issued to me I did almost the same thing you did. I was tested at FT Hood, and told I had a hearing loss and showed that doctor a copy of my hearing test from my medical retirement years before. She indicated in writing my hearing loss was service connected, and then told me to go to the va where they would issue me hearing aids. I was tested at the va in temple, and the results were the same. I showed this doctor a copy of my hearing test from active duty and this doctor also wrote a statement my hearing loss was a result of military service. ( I did 6 years in the infantry, and the rest of my time in computer rooms, I also have a history of head concussion when thrown from a jeep and knocked out for 3 1/2 days.) My retirement hearing test indicated loss of high frequency hearing which in 1986 the va said was with normal limits and awarded nothing. Anyway the hearing aids were issued to me prior to my obtaining service connection for the hearing loss, but I was already 90% With TDIU so regardless I would have gotten them anyway.