RockyA1911

Question

100% - Larynx Cancer, AO presumptive disease

70% - PTSD

50% - Skull Loss

30% - Post Traumatic Encephalopathy with Left Temporal Lobe Contusion

10% - Disfiguring Scar

10% - Bi-Lateral Tinnitus

Is all of this still just a total combined rating of just 100% or is there more to this? I get 191.4% combined total. But using the combined ratings table excel spreadsheet I just keep getting 100% and thats it. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by RockyA1911

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guest rickb054
100% - Larynx Cancer, AO presumptive disease

70% - PTSD

50% - Skull Loss

30% - Post Traumatic Encephalopathy with Left Temporal Lobe Contusion

10% - Disfiguring Scar

10% - Bi-Lateral Tinnitus

Is all of this still just a total combined rating of just 100% or is there more to this? I get 191.4% combined total. But using the combined ratings table excel spreadsheet I just keep getting 100% and thats it. Am I doing something wrong?

Rocky,

A lot of us face the same problem that is when added our disabilities total over 100 in my case added together my disabilities come too 200, but only combine at 93.38%. To answer your question no you are not doing anything wrong. The excel program is based on the combined rating table that the va uses. Under the combined rating table no one can be more that 100% disabled. However many veterans are paid compensenation for more than the 100% rate. There are a number of reasons for this. Some like you are rated 100% for one problem and then have an additional disability seperately rated over 60%. This entitles you to payment for Housebound or the "S rate " Special monthly compensation which is $300.00 in addition to the 100% rate. Other veterans receive different special monthly compensation based on loss or loss of use of a limb or blindness, or maybe they need aid and attendance. It is so important for all veterans to learn the different levels of special monthly compensation yet this is one of the most misunderstood aspects of va compensation, (even I have trouble understanding the goobly gook). I hope this answers your question.

• HadIt.com Elder

Rocky,

I get 100% PTSD (TDIU) & 100% for Cancer (AO). So I have the "S" award & married at that rate is $2905 a month. That VA Math is confusing.

Don

Pete is absolutely correct, you should be 100% + SMC "S" for statutory housebound.

The problem with doing the math is that you need to remove the 100% disability when combining disabilities to figure out possible SMC "S" eligibility. In order to get higher benefits, you will need disabilities which will make you eligible for a higher level of SMC. The most common ones are "K" for erectile dysfunction and "L" for aid and attendance. You could also get a "K" for aphonia if your laryngeal cancer causes paralysis of the vocal cords.

Rocky,

A lot of us face the same problem that is when added our disabilities total over 100 in my case added together my disabilities come too 200, but only combine at 93.38%. To answer your question no you are not doing anything wrong. The excel program is based on the combined rating table that the va uses. Under the combined rating table no one can be more that 100% disabled. However many veterans are paid compensenation for more than the 100% rate. There are a number of reasons for this. Some like you are rated 100% for one problem and then have an additional disability seperately rated over 60%. This entitles you to payment for Housebound or the "S rate " Special monthly compensation which is $300.00 in addition to the 100% rate. Other veterans receive different special monthly compensation based on loss or loss of use of a limb or blindness, or maybe they need aid and attendance. It is so important for all veterans to learn the different levels of special monthly compensation yet this is one of the most misunderstood aspects of va compensation, (even I have trouble understanding the goobly gook). I hope this answers your question.

Can you PLEEEEEEEEEESE show me on any chart where it says the housebound rate is $300. I am standing by.

• HadIt.com Elder

shaq...I'm 99.9% sure that housebound and aid and attendance are both paid at the "L" rate, since they both fall under 1114 (l). The current SMC-L is $3145/month for a single vet, $3287/month for a vet with spouse, and $3390/month for a vet with spouse and one tricycle motor.