VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can You Hold A Job Until The Va Rates You And Still Get 100% Mental?

Rate this question

labonte1000

Question

Hi, just wondering can you work and get 100% for anxiety/panic. My problem is, I'm only 26 and I looked into SSDI and since I'm young I would only get $900 a month. I have really bad anxiety and panic symptoms, keeping me from work. I haven't worked since july of 2006. My symptoms are getting bad, but at the same time I really have to get some money, Is it possible to explain to the VA, that your forcing yourself to work until you get a higher rating. It's kind of like a catch 22 right now. I need to get money, but really don't think I can work, but at the same time will have to force myself past the symptoms because so I can get money, just until a higher rating comes in. Will the VA understand me/ what I'm going through.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

IMO, the fact that you are gainfully employed -- regardless of you working in spite of your disability/symptoms -- will not sway the VA towards rating you higher or look into TDIU for you. Not at all.

You would at the very least need to be working only marginally for this to have any chance of success, or, not be working at all -- due to your SCed disabilities.

This is the same boat many vets find themselves in, and yes, it's a position between a rock and a hard place for them.

But if you DO end up getting TDIU down the road, and if you DO get SSDI now, BOTH of those as income would be substantially more $$ than TDIU-only vets get each month, especially those TDIU vets who are not collecting any military retirement.

So maybe down the road, you will have better financial security but now and for a while ahead, until you win a claim of two, it's probably going to be a rough road.

Sorry for not having better news but I beieve that's just how it is right now for you.

-- John D.

Hi, just wondering can you work and get 100% for anxiety/panic. My problem is, I'm only 26 and I looked into SSDI and since I'm young I would only get $900 a month. I have really bad anxiety and panic symptoms, keeping me from work. I haven't worked since july of 2006. My symptoms are getting bad, but at the same time I really have to get some money, Is it possible to explain to the VA, that your forcing yourself to work until you get a higher rating. It's kind of like a catch 22 right now. I need to get money, but really don't think I can work, but at the same time will have to force myself past the symptoms because so I can get money, just until a higher rating comes in. Will the VA understand me/ what I'm going through.
Edited by cloudcroft

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have not been able to work since July of 2006 you should get Social Security and back to Feb 2007 and about 7200 back pay. If you work that is a disqualifier for TDIU. What do you think about your future? If you can work that would be the best but if you can't you should draw your SSD and VA.

Good Luck but I don't think anyone who can hold a job should get 100% TDIU. Thinking that you have to work is normal Its not easy but if you are having a lot of problems with panic and anxiety it would probably be impossible to hold almost any job except maybe at the VA.

They let me work 10 years after I submitted my first claim, working with not only, on the job mental stress, but also major physical disabilities and it didn't bother them one bit and I'm bumping 60. They know I haven't work since 03 and gave me 30% SC on condition most get 100% with, and they also know if I breath I have to be on oxygen 24/7 and they said in their last decision that my sc condition did not prelude me from employment, so I think this might answer the question. I wish I could tell you the VA had more compassion for the vet, but I can't. Hang in there and submit all you have, do your research on hadit, be humble and polite to the VA, but don't be intimidated by them, trust in the Lord and do the best you can do, is my advice. God Bless brother.

Danang_1969