Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 30?

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I called the 1-800# to check the status of my claim and was told that they were still working on my unemployability claim. the most puzzling part of the conversation is when the Rep told me that should file a chapter 30, Can anyone tell me what is Chapter 30?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, This is what I interpet chapter 30 to be.

§21.264 Election of payment at the 38 U.S.C. chapter 30 educational assistance rate.

(a) Eligibility. A veteran who applies for, and is found entitled to training or education under Chapter 31, may elect to receive payment at the educational allowance rate and other assistance furnished under Chapter 30, for similar training in lieu of a subsistence allowance, provided the following criteria are met:

(1) The veteran has remaining eligibility for, and entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 30;

(2) The veteran enrolls in a program of education or training approved for benefits under Chapter 30;

(3) The program of education is part of an IWRP (Individualized Written Rehabilitation Plan) approved by VA. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

(:rolleyes: Reelection of subsistence allowance. Reelection of payment of benefits at the Chapter 31 subsistence allowance rate may be made only after completion of a term, quarter, semester, or other period of instruction unless:

(1) Chapter 30 eligibility or entitlement ends earlier;

(2) Failure to approve immediate reelection would prevent the veteran from continuing in the rehabilitation program. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

© Services precluded. A veteran entitled to vocational rehabilitation training or education who elects payment at the educational assistance rate payable under Chapter 30 shall be provided the same training and rehabilitation services as other veterans under Chapter 31, but may not be provided:

(1) Subsistence allowances

(2) Loans from the revolving fund loan;

(3) Payment of costs for:

(i) Vocational and other training services;

(ii) Supplies; or

(iii) Individualized tutorial assistance.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

(d) Chapter 30 provisions applicable. A veteran who has elected payment at the Chapter 30 educational assistance rate must meet the same terms and conditions as other veterans pursuing similar training under these programs. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

[49 FR 40814, Oct. 18, 1984, as amended at 54 FR 4283, Jan. 30, 1989; 57 FR 57108, Dec. 3, 1992; 62 FR 17709, Apr. 11, 1997]

Supplement Highlights reference: 30(2)

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Jay, This is what I interpet chapter 30 to be. The rep may have been suggesting VOC Rehab.

§21.264 Election of payment at the 38 U.S.C. chapter 30 educational assistance rate.

(a) Eligibility. A veteran who applies for, and is found entitled to training or education under Chapter 31, may elect to receive payment at the educational allowance rate and other assistance furnished under Chapter 30, for similar training in lieu of a subsistence allowance, provided the following criteria are met:

(1) The veteran has remaining eligibility for, and entitlement to educational assistance under Chapter 30;

(2) The veteran enrolls in a program of education or training approved for benefits under Chapter 30;

(3) The program of education is part of an IWRP (Individualized Written Rehabilitation Plan) approved by VA. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

(:rolleyes: Reelection of subsistence allowance. Reelection of payment of benefits at the Chapter 31 subsistence allowance rate may be made only after completion of a term, quarter, semester, or other period of instruction unless:

(1) Chapter 30 eligibility or entitlement ends earlier;

(2) Failure to approve immediate reelection would prevent the veteran from continuing in the rehabilitation program. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

© Services precluded. A veteran entitled to vocational rehabilitation training or education who elects payment at the educational assistance rate payable under Chapter 30 shall be provided the same training and rehabilitation services as other veterans under Chapter 31, but may not be provided:

(1) Subsistence allowances

(2) Loans from the revolving fund loan;

(3) Payment of costs for:

(i) Vocational and other training services;

(ii) Supplies; or

(iii) Individualized tutorial assistance.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

(d) Chapter 30 provisions applicable. A veteran who has elected payment at the Chapter 30 educational assistance rate must meet the same terms and conditions as other veterans pursuing similar training under these programs. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 3015, 3022, 3108(f))

[49 FR 40814, Oct. 18, 1984, as amended at 54 FR 4283, Jan. 30, 1989; 57 FR 57108, Dec. 3, 1992; 62 FR 17709, Apr. 11, 1997]

Supplement Highlights reference: 30(2)

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

"I called the 1-800# to check the status of my claim and was told that they were still working on my unemployability claim. the most puzzling part of the conversation is when the Rep told me that should file a chapter 30, Can anyone tell me what is Chapter 30?"

Chapter 30 is the Montgomery GI Bill for active duty-

maybe he believed you still have GI bill $ to use and want to further your education some more?

Since using the Voc Rehab -have you taken any other college courses that maybe he thought VA owed you some money for?

This is a very strange comment from #800-and I found that the 800# people usually know very little about VA Educational Benefits.

I dealt with the VA Educational Department direct for my Chap 35 educational stuff.

GI Bill questions-Chapter 60- the VA web site is very confusing-

Military.com has the best info on using the GI bill.And every VA accredited school has plenty of info too on GI Bill on TAP-

anyone out there interested-

this is my school -primarily enlisted enrolled-but vets and officers enrolled too (they go up to Masters Degrees)and they are used to these educational benefits and able to square away anyone with GI Bill etc- pretty good-under their Tuition Assistance program

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.