VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

For Disability Comp; Is It A Choice To Take Meds Or Not?

Rate this topic

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually the VA considers being medicated as partial proof of disability.

My husband had the VA employee shrink for his PTSD for 6 years.Even after he left VA as employer he could not get switched to the real VA PTSD doctor- Being a Psychologist this doctor could not prescribe any meds.(and didnt have a clue on PTSD)

The VA actually attempted to use this factor long ago when my husband requested a higher rating- stating that since he did not take any anti-jungle pills- his level of PTSD could not be rated higher-

I rebutted this with the VA shrinks job description that prohibited him from writing any presriptions (Psychologist not psychiatrist)and also sent VA my documented attempts to get my husband a real PTSD doctor-one of the nation's best worked at this same VA- but because of his VA employment they kept saying no-he had to be seen by the employee shrink-

finally my Congessman got him to the real PTSD psychiatrist ---in 20 minutes- and his care changed radically.Long story-

My point is that the VA considers medication for something as proof that there is a disability that warrants medication.My husband feared medication but still when they started prescribing PTSD pills he took them.He even made them write on the computer for his prescription orders No Alcoholic or narcotics meds!

I saw a vet on TV many many years ago on a show that was interviewing PTSD vets- the vet was a 100%er with PTSD and he pulled out boxes and boxes of years of VA PTSD meds that he never took-because he didnt trust what the pills really were.

I often wondered if the vets VARO people saw the show and then attempted to reduce his comp.

Also the VA justifys proof of their 'medical care' with prescriptions-

a prescription med my husband was given is part of the new IMO I just ordered- as it was prescribed for 6 years to treat a symptom of something that the VA never diagnosed and which ultimately caused his death.

Edited by Berta