Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent Voc Rehab Experience

Rate this question

P31415926

Question

Looking back on my experience raises questions.

50% SC, 47 y/o Serious Employment Handicap, offered by ch 31 to attend a school 30 mi away for a professional cert. I moved to the county where school is located, rent + ut increases to $950 from $600. I slowly bleed my savings to pay for this while living in poverty. I also take out $1800 in student loans. Oh btw, no laptop, printer, etc like some think is guaranteed. My laptop request including email from teacher regarding computer classwork was refused.

Finished cert in one year, no jobs in this field. School books are 3 years old which made it impossible to even practice the work, so the gov't didn't even get what they paid for, let alone the student. The material was outdated bigtime.

Summary: I still have the employment handicap, I'm out over $4k, student loans have come due, not qualified in this field, now taking a job as entry level ____ to survive. I'm worse off than before I started the program. They switched my case manager in the middle of the school year to one 200 miles away and out of state - who has a less than stellar record of answering phone calls or emails.

I don't think this was the rehabilitation that was intended- what happened here? They are itching to close out my file as soon as I take any low end job - is that it? Am I done?

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude while the ch 31 people are playing some kind of poker game, not showing their hand or the opportunities available. Thanks

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I can certainly be critical of alot of va programs. But not the voc rehab. It is probably the best program for people who want to work and those who do not or can not it is probably not a receptive program.

For TDIU, first dont apply for the program if you feel you cannot work. If you accept it if it is offered your probably telling the va you are able and willing to work. Believe me, they asked me if I could and would find work.

This program is just in my opinion a great program for people who want to further their education and attempt to be a productive in a job and prepare for advancement. It worked well for myself and many other vets. I came out of the program with no student loans. Tell me a recent college grad who is not in any for of debt.. Abe

Here's how they paid for my books...

Walked about a mile to the campus book store, got the books for class, waited in line, cashier told me I had no account with them (as I was told I did by the case manager), had to leave the books at the counter and walk the mile home emptyhanded. Not cheerfully.

Case manager forgot to fax a sheet of paper to the bookstore.

Well, hey, anyone can make a mistake.

It happened again the next semester, this time the store was packed and I'm the old geezer holding up the line while the cashier leaves to find the manger who explained the case manager didn't fax them a sheet of paper. Books left at the counter again.

Good thing I was only there two semesters.

There's more, but you get the idea. They make you ask for everything.

• HadIt.com Elder

My original C&P Doc was so senile I thought that he had Old Timers and yet he was contracting for Social Security 5 years later. I told Social Security that I would not see him. It worked out but God knows what would have happened if I saw the quack again. I might be typing this post from Huntsville Tx the Prison for Murderers and child molesters

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with Voc Rehab. Mine was awesome. I went to school for a total of four years over a 12 year period, which is almost the maximum amount of time allowed. I had the same counselor from start to finish. His name is Doug Murdock, of any of you guys/gals are trying voc rehab in northeast Tennessee. He treats you righ, fights for you, and gets you everything you need, and some things you don't realize you need. He got aggrivated at me for changing majors twice, but he stuck with me. I finally graduated with a degree in communications and had a job as a writer for a business journal within a few months. I didn't do it for long, though. Writing for a living sucks. I suppose I should mention here that I have had a real hard time holding a job for more than a few months at a time since I got out of the army in 1994. My degree did help me land my current job, however, and I have been here for almost 3 years. Unfortuneately, my back finally (and completely) gave up on me a few months ago, and now I'm hoping to get the combined ratings necessary to apply for TDIU in a couple of years. I've already had a few docs tell me that my back condition will only let me work a few more years (and I'm only 34 years old). Anyway, my voc rehab experience was great, and I incurred absolutely no debt during the course of my education. I did have a few problems trying to make ends meet while living on their stipend, and the bookstore was a problem every semester (but that was the school's fault), but overall it was good for me.

90%, TDIU P&T

p 314... - I had some of the same problems at the bookstore, but learning from that I called before the semester started... anyway.... I think alot of the issues as the previous vet posted had to do with the school. I still believe the program is great and you wont find any better when furthering an education and a future. Of course alot of it has to do with the va employees that your dealing with, but, it is a fantastic program that gives us all the tools we need to further our education or trade. In my opinion it is the best the VA has to offer and the most vet friendly, dont have to wait a year for an answer and the bills always get paid, plus your given a piece of paper that says you did it and no one can take that away. Just my thoughts, ABE

PS: My Voc Rehab councelor told me when I first interviewed thousands of Vietnam Vets got their CDL through this program and it worked well for them.

If you are given another oportunity to re enroll in the program try it, you may find a better school and more opportunity. Dont give up on a great thing.....

Guest rickb054
Looking back on my experience raises questions.

50% SC, 47 y/o Serious Employment Handicap, offered by ch 31 to attend a school 30 mi away for a professional cert. I moved to the county where school is located, rent + ut increases to $950 from $600. I slowly bleed my savings to pay for this while living in poverty. I also take out $1800 in student loans. Oh btw, no laptop, printer, etc like some think is guaranteed. My laptop request including email from teacher regarding computer classwork was refused.

Finished cert in one year, no jobs in this field. School books are 3 years old which made it impossible to even practice the work, so the gov't didn't even get what they paid for, let alone the student. The material was outdated bigtime.

Summary: I still have the employment handicap, I'm out over $4k, student loans have come due, not qualified in this field, now taking a job as entry level ____ to survive. I'm worse off than before I started the program. They switched my case manager in the middle of the school year to one 200 miles away and out of state - who has a less than stellar record of answering phone calls or emails.

I don't think this was the rehabilitation that was intended- what happened here? They are itching to close out my file as soon as I take any low end job - is that it? Am I done?

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude while the ch 31 people are playing some kind of poker game, not showing their hand or the opportunities available. Thanks

I find in hard to beleive that you incurred a cost for an approved vocational rehabilitaion course. Are you sure you did not purchase something or agree to some kind of contract before being approve for schooling. I ask because the total cost of va chapter 31 is always paid by the va. Also the va is real good about not letting you take a course for something that doesn't offer jobs in you area.