Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dfas Crdp

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Do I understand that the VA payment is actually the offset they were taking to the Mil retirement pay?

The part of the rating and its EED date that made the retiree eligible for CRDP or CRSC?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, the CRDP is what I get. It is a 'portion' of VA compensation payment that was for years offset for retirees. This CRDP only occurs if a veteran is rated at 50% or higher and retired from active duty, I believe. I think there are particulars depending on the situation. When I recieved 20% disability that was offset (not taxed) VA amount shown on my pay slip, but no additional funds deposited into my pay account or should I say released to me over and beyond that of my retirement pay, thus no concurrent reciept.

Now that I have more than 50% disability rating, my offset is different. I am currently paid at 49+% of the VA amount IN addition to my regular military pay. Thats a good thing for me while the government collects taxes on it, a good thing for them. Using 2007 rates, the other VA payment portion thereof after the 49% payment is 'offset', say nearly 51% of rest of VA awarded disability pay shows on the payslip, no money exchanges hands, but 'good for me' not taxable.

My new rating occured this past summer, the VA used the EED as a starting point, I received a single persons payment, then a single persons $$$$ retro, took me month of Sundays to figure out the CRDP and Retro pay, still haven't found freindly way of figuring it out. I have not received Retro pay for the 20% rating that I was awarded over ten years ago, probably because of the offset and tax free addendum; go figure. As of today, I still havent recieved with dependents rate retro or payment considering all the hype and paperwork this seems unimportant or very overlooked. Could be the VA needs a system like military Deers, one time confirmation of dependents, so we could dependents allowance swiftly 'seamlessly' .jmho,cg

Do I understand that the VA payment is actually the offset they were taking to the Mil retirement pay?

The part of the rating and its EED date that made the retiree eligible for CRDP or CRSC?

Edited by cowgirl

Question: I am 100% from VA. I will be eligible for reserve retirement at age 60 (20 year letter). I am now 55.

disability was granted for PTSD (100%), another 50% for other conditions. All combat related to Desert Storm.

Is reserve pay automatically reduced because of my VA pay? Reserve retirement for me will only be about 1400 a month.

Is CRSC "extra" pay or just intended to make up the difference in the retirement pay reduction? This is extremely confusing.

I get a different answer every time when I call reserve retirement in St Louis. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

BH

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but here is some information that pertains to me that might help.

1. I am a military retiree for service (i.e., 20-plus years)

2. I currently have a 40 percent rating from the VA.

3. My military pay is currently reduced by $501 and I receive $501 from the VA.

4. Of my 40 percent VA rating, 20 percent is combat zone related. The 20 percent makes me eligible for CRSC. When and if I apply for CRSC, I would receive the value of 20 percent for CRSC plus the value of 20 percent VA rating (with a corresponding offset from military retirement pay). In other words, my gross total pay would increase by the value of a 20 percent rating. The last I heard, CRSC is non-taxable AND is paid out of military retiree funding, NOT VA funds.

5. My effective date for CRSC would be the date I was VA-rated for the 20 percent for combat-related disability.

6. I possibly will be eligible for CRDP (quite confusinig and unimaginative of the program manangers of CRSC and CRDP to use similiar terminology for the two programs) if my NOD is approved and brings my total rating to 50 percent. CRDP is also paid out of military retirement accounts (not VA) and my effective date would be the date I was rated at 50 percent or more.

Hope this helps...

thanks Manitou,

I think I can use your formula as a road map to figure out my position concerning CRSC. That is more info than I got anywhere else. Looking at those service years..I'm guessing you had 2 tours in Nam and at least one for Desert Storm.

Out, Here

quote name='Manitou Sprgs' date='Dec 10 2007, 12:53 PM' post='70875']

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but here is some information that pertains to me that might help.

1. I am a military retiree for service (i.e., 20-plus years)

2. I currently have a 40 percent rating from the VA.

3. My military pay is currently reduced by $501 and I receive $501 from the VA.

4. Of my 40 percent VA rating, 20 percent is combat zone related. The 20 percent makes me eligible for CRSC. When and if I apply for CRSC, I would receive the value of 20 percent for CRSC plus the value of 20 percent VA rating (with a corresponding offset from military retirement pay). In other words, my gross total pay would increase by the value of a 20 percent rating. The last I heard, CRSC is non-taxable AND is paid out of military retiree funding, NOT VA funds.

5. My effective date for CRSC would be the date I was VA-rated for the 20 percent for combat-related disability.

6. I possibly will be eligible for CRDP (quite confusinig and unimaginative of the program manangers of CRSC and CRDP to use similiar terminology for the two programs) if my NOD is approved and brings my total rating to 50 percent. CRDP is also paid out of military retirement accounts (not VA) and my effective date would be the date I was rated at 50 percent or more.

Hope this helps...

Ok, I got it. My retirement pay (taxable) is taken away. It is replaced by an equivalent amount non-taxable. Makes sense.

nice benefit. This is a great country.

Yes, you are correct. Also, CRSC is not taxable; CRDP IS taxable.

Cheers!