Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do We Proceed With An Appeal?

Rate this question

Spanky

Question

My husband received his rating decision dated 9-29-07. In this decision they gave him 0% for jungle rot for his feet and ordered an at once C&P. They stated they would evaluate after the at once exam and assign a higher percentage if warranted. He went to the C&P a couple days ago.

He has a gunshot wound on his arm and burns to his right hand for which he received 2 of his 3 purple hearts and he has tried to get these service connected even if it is 0% - the VA stated in this last decision these were not related to his military service and service connection remains denied. We just don't understand why the VA won't recognize his purple hearts as proof of his wounds. He has a 3 or 4 inch scar across his forearm due to the gunshot wound, but he does not have any scarring from the burns but it is noted in his personnel file that he had burns to the right hand and he has his purple heart for it. He originally applied in 1978 and didn't appeal. He just wrote a letter stating he disagreed. He wants to appeal this so the question is do we proceed with the appeal or do we need to wait until he gets a decision on his feet from this last C&P?

Thanks

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Pete- I think it depends on the nature of the GSW whether they send anyone home-

Audie Murphy was recovering in a hosp with his third PH wound and left the hospital to join his unit- he wasnt even done convalesing yet-I forget if he have the Battlefiled Commission yet-

and when he returned to his unit- his actions under fire earned him the Medal of Honor-

unfortunately he had PTSD which caught up to him many years after the war and the VA didnt know how to treat it then-I often wonder when he made all those war movies- if the movie scenes caused him many problems too-

I had to do an essay on Red Badge of Courage for school and he starred in this civil war story-

I hope school age kids get to watch it from time to time- it contains some lessons about life as well as war and the human spirit.